Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Golden Childhood XV



Remembering Good Times!


Last time (My Golden Childhood XIV) I posted this pic of me as a nine and a half year old. I thought I would share the whole photograph of my family with you. Aren't we a handsome mob? there is a great family story attached to this photo ~ isn't there always when you have a great family!

This family photograph was taken in June, 1972. It was Show Day and one of my sisters had organized with a photographer friend to take a family portrait to mark the end of an era. Our eldest sister was getting married in October so this would be the last family pic before the big event.





We had all come to town for the Show and then gathered that night for the photo shoot. I can't imagine the amount of teasing and hairspray that was needed to get Mum and the older girls hair to sit like that! I was nine and a half years old and I was adamant that I be positioned conspicuously to show off my new long boots. They were brown patent leather and long boots were all the rage. I had pestered my parents until Dad finally agreed to buy them for me :-) Dad was not in good humour getting ready. He insisted that the girls in the "Bum Freezers" should not be standing on the outside in those immodest clothes! Ah! 70s fashion ~ ya gotta love it. As you can see neither Dad or I got our way that day!




My Mum was always a slim woman. Ladies of her era always wore a good foundation which probably helped but Mum had a fine figure all her life ~ and still does. She normally wears blues and greens and looks good in them so I don't know why she is wearing that drabish outfit. Perhaps it was because, having so little Winter here, she only had one long sleeved outfit?




My younger brothers look so angelic! Butter wouldn't melt in those sweet little mouths. But looks can be deceiving and believe me they could be terrors! I am certain Dad would have given them some fairly stern instructions before hand, too.



So, here we all are 37 years later.
This is a repost of the pic from Mum's 80th birthday.
Do you think we have aged well? I think some even look younger in the more casual hairdos and modern clothes. Dear Mum and Dad are beautifully seasoned.
They always were a handsome couple!
(You might remember that one of my sisters died in 1969 and is not in either
of these family photos.)
As we posed for this photograph we roared laughing about the top photo. The clothes we wore and the Bum Freezers! Dad is 85 now and uses his age and patriarchy as an excuse to conveniently forget such stories!
One of my sisters called the "little boys" to sit down the front and replicate the old photo!
I thank God for the wonderful family he placed me in...

10 comments:

  1. I just love the read dress with the beautiful while lapels...and the hair that goes with it!! Hee Hee. Sorry, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, getting more and more wierd.
    that is my post only half done. I seem to have totally lost the rest of the post, can't find it in drafts or published and it had a lovely long story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Now this post can only be accessed through you comment on the side bar. Gremlins! I will have to rewrite it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bum Freezers", LOL! That is too funny. What a blessing to have a close family.

    Thanks for the nice comments you left on my blog. We have gotten back into the swing of things. Its good to be home (and yes, it is still winter here, but Oregon, as cold as it looks, was much warmer).

    Have a blessed day!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these photos - "bum freezers" is hilarious! (My father-in-law used to call the 80s fashion of knickerbockers 'poo catchers'.)

    I always like reading your golden childhood stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see that I'm not the only one to think 'bum freezers' is hilarious!

    You're in fine form this week, you are...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great pictures of a wonderful family. Thank you so much for sharing these, Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some classic phrases there Ruby! :) Those family photo pictures can speak volumes can't they.....full of fun memories. I love these posts of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photos. And I bet those little boys could be a handful. There are a few years between them and you. I'm supposing your sister was just older than them?? Are they twins by any chance? They look close in age! And oh I remember those 70's fashion. Like you, I wasn't quite old enough either to be too fashionable in those early 70's but I did have 3 older sisters who were.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tricia,
    My sister who died was actually older than me. If you click on the link in blue, one of my sisters, you'll find a little post about her.
    The boys are two years apart in age. The older was a little bloke from the get go and the younger a boomer so they did look like twins for many years. Did I mention what terrific fellows they are, despite their wildness as kids?!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.