Friday, February 19, 2010

Laughter ~ the Best Medicine


"Rae" of Sunshine.

Most pf you who read here regularly will have picked up, towards the end of last year, that I was struggling with a lack of motivation and encouragement in my sons' schooling. Namely, the monotony and seeming lack of progress we were making in their reading. I am pleased to say that this year has started out on a much better note. We all seem to have a better attitude and of course that is the beginning of a better outcome.

Although not entirely due to our "volunteers" I cannot speak highly or thankfully enough for the help we have received. Our dear friend "Rae" has been like a ray of sunshine each week! Her cheerful approach and infectious laughter has captivated the boys and made their boring drills and games seem like so much fun! Dare I say, they actually look forward to these sessions each week... This has changed the whole atmosphere of our learning. Thank you, Lord!
It's raining ...it's pouring.
Well, it's actually just drizzling most of the time. After a couple of weeks everything is well and truly sodden. The river is steadily rising, though at this stage not likely to be in full flood. It makes for some dreary days as far as outside activities go but has been a good opportunity to catch some of the Winter Olympics in breaks during the day. The Family Day organized for the Homeschooling group tomorrow has been postponed due to MOZZIES! They are almost driving us to distraction!


10 week old grandson. Wow! He's a cute and chubby little guy with lots of smiles and sticky beaking everywhere. He looks a litle startled here as I caught him in his car seat.




Spare a thought.

This picture, sent by my nephew currently volunteering in Calcutta, India, got me thinking about how blessed we are here in our free, rich and prosperous country. Especially as we experience a few weeks of wet weather and inconvenience one has to wonder how we would survive in the monsoon season over there.
Have a good weekend, one and all!


9 comments:

  1. I had to look up mozzies on the computer. By the way you talked, I thought it was probably a bug, but I just wasn't sure. Most everyone on dad's side of the family called them skeeters. Mom, being from the city, hated that pronounciation (along with a few others), but that's what we usually call them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'm really glad your schooling is working out better this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing to see just how sad conditions are in other parts of the world. I too feel so very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to India, and also to Indonesia. I was a mess when I got home from my first trip to the 'developing' world, was in serious culture shock for at least a month, realising how much we have here and how much we waste it and take it for granted, all too easy to forget though when it's been a while since I ventured overseas!

    Glad school is not as tedious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think God is trying to tell me something. Every blog I've read recently has made mention of something that makes me feel so glad to be blessed with what I have. People who have children with special needs, people who witness firsthand the third-world living conditions in other countries, people who have been persecuted for talking about Jesus, people who know young mothers who have breast cancer .... and even reading about your boys and their literary issues makes me glad that even though my little Ducky is struggling with her reading, at least she is still at grade level and improving steadily (but very, very slowly at times.)

    One of the best things about living in Canberra during a drought (looking on the bright side here) is the lack of mozzies. Flies we have in abundance, but mozzies are very scarce around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Grandson looks so cute! You are a blessed nanna x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruby,
    I'm glad that you have recaptured the love for learning. :D

    Your grandson is just so cute with his chubby cheeks - 10 weeks already - my, how the time flies!

    How blessed we are, here in Australia, and yet we take so much for granted!

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Blessings,
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay Ruby, so much for not having problems with blogger. I had to do my last post twice because it wouldn't upload my photos; in fact, the entire rest of the post, after the 1st photo was inserted, was left off originally. It did go through the second time, but it was irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruby,
    I really think your sons will have a reading breakthrough soon! I know a lot of us are praying for them!

    Thanks for the encouraging post on prayer and thanksgiving. It is a much needed word for this Monday morning. If I was in Oz, Monday would already be over! ; )

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.