Monday, February 22, 2010

The Will of God Concerning You


Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.
In every thing give thanks:
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you
1 Thessalonians 5:16 - 18


The Scriptures are full of treasures to be mined, studied, memorized, loved by the people of God. Not in a lifetime can we know it all. Every reading, every day there is something new to ponder and digest. The very word of God, the words of eternal life!


Yesterday we heard a very challenging and thought provoking message from 1 Thessalonians regarding that glorious and much anticipated event, the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. I've said before I am not courageous enough to tackle the end times on my blog, but what a wonderful chapter to read and contemplate this is.


I am thinking on the above verses this morning which come toward the end of that chapter. The Bible is full of deep and sometimes difficult teachings, but look at the simplicity of these instructions. Short, direct, clear, simple. Rejoice, pray, give thanks.

While we wait in longing and expectation for the great and terrible day of the Lord, let's apply these positives to our lives.


Have a good and productive week everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm, eschatology. Our study of Revelation has a bit of that...!!

    Actually, it is forcing my husband to make some hard leadership decisions, since our homegroup is made up of believers from several different denominations. It is the first time that we have had differences in theology since we began meeting together, and he has been forced to make the rule that every answer must be substantiated by Scriptural proof rather than Church opinion, no matter how well founded. Otherwise we read just what is written in the text with no interpretation.

    I think you are wise to steer clear in cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a sensible policy in such a group. I actually have some fairly clear thoughts which I believe are backed by scripture, but as I have stated before, I think it is more important to be watching, waiting will our lamps filled than argueing over details which God, in his infinite wisdom has not shown us. Some folk will discuss the End Times till the cows come home, but as you say, have no real biblical proofs for their ideas. There is so much that God has revealed to us for our edification which is much more profitable to discuss, don't you think?
    Revelation must be an interest book to study in a group. Are you using someone's study on this or just going through? Also omteresting and encouraging that you have a number of folk from different churches. So often it is never the twain shall meet.
    Funny how I dont have much in the way of posts on my mind but I can write a post length comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are using a study written by our minister, Andrew. It is terrific. Challenging in the extreme though!!

    Our homegroup is one of the best things, I reckon. We have been meeting together for five years with never a raised voice. Amazingly wonderful indepth study of God's word happens in our home every Wednesday night. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Not many Reformed folk around our neck of the woods. We have to be somewhat ecumenical in a small country town of 1200 people!!

    Notice that we run the group and provide the materials though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rejoice, pray and give thanks ....... that is really at the heart of all we do as Christians isn't it? Thanks for this reminder Ruby ... these things are all the more important when we are landed in difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, simple, straight to the point. I am a great beliver in the following: The things that are most important to God, he will not leave up to any human interpretation. There are a great many doctrinal stances people can debate, using less well known scripture, or arguing the finer points of translation, or any number of other things, but these are all the little things. I'm not saying we shouldn't think on these things; we should found all we do on the word of God. But, I think the most important things God has for us are all crystal clear, and this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that I missed this post a few days back and found it this morning. What a fresh encouragement for me this morning. Thank you, sister.

    Thank you for your encouragement on my blog, as well. I am feeling so blessed by the help of the believers.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.