The resourceful site: Soli Deo Gloria (To God alone be the Glory) Resouces has this thought provoking question on their front page. Convicting?Why do we educate our children?
"If we educate our children so that they will be intelligent and successful - we may be seeking THEIR glory.
If we educate our children so that they will impress our family, friends and neighbors - we may be seeking OUR OWN glory.
If we educate our children so that they can pour forth facts and figures accurately - we may be seeking the glory of KNOWLEDGE (and knowledge puffs up).
But if we educate our children so that they have a big view of God, are aware of their individual giftings and seek to use them for the advancement of God's Kingdom around the world and in eternity - then we are seeking GOD'S glory. "
Thanks to Mountain Mom, where I read this quote yesterday.
Wonderful quote. I was brought up to be nice and came to faith early. But it wasn't until in my misery that I learned that contentment is all about His glory, and not mine.
ReplyDeleteAmen, Amen & Amen! I love this poem! It's so easy to loose sight of what our primary purpose should be as Christian parents: to raise our children to glorify God and enjoy him forever so that they would love and serve Him with all their heart, soul, mind and strength. I have fallen into this trap as well both as a pastor's & missionary's wife and as a homeschooler. Seeking glory in the wrong areas rather than seeking God's glory and His alone. Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn