
Auditory Processing Delay/ disorder (APD) is a learning disability which apparently affects quite a large number of children in our schools. Being home schoolers, this was not something I was familiar with. In my own childhood, there were kids who caught on more slowly, but everyone seemed to get there in the end. (I attended a 3 teacher primary school in CQ) .
When my older daughter hit 4 or 5 she was ready and rearing to go and after 3 months (using Sam Blumenfeld's Alpha Phonics) was reading everything in sight. She was the perfect first child. She read easily and loved it, comprehended well. loved to write her own stories, memorized amazingly long passages of scripture and poetry and handled the school work. She made me feel as though I could do this home schooling thing, and do it well!
Of course, every child is different and the three subsequent ones in my family have found it much more difficult. The second, a daughter, had the classic symptoms of floating letters, flashes across the page, headaches...She was eventually tested for dyslexia and Irlins Syndrome but never really fitted into any mould. She, very painstakingly learned to read, and worked about a year below age level through to high school.
The two boys I have at home now are 10 and 11 years old and read at about 6/7 age level (If you were comparing to school, fortunately we are not) Because they have Auditory Processing Delays they cannot discern between certain sounds or retain quite a lot of information. Where other children rely on memory in conjuction with Phonic sounds, they find memorizing the Phonics and whole words very difficult. They have gotten to an age where even at home they are very well aware that their friends are way ahead of them. We are dealing with a lot both academically and emotionally. Also, I find it stressful and often am concerned for how these young boys will mature and become men in the workforce.
Our Day
7.00 Breakfast , chores
7.45 Play
8.30 Bible, catechisms, prayer
9.00 Maths
9.30 Boys read to me/ I read to them
10.00 Phonics drills or games
10.30 Morning Tea
11.00 English or supplimental eg blends,
11.30 Social Studies/ Science
12.00 Phonics drills and games. reading
12.30 Lunch
1.30 Guitar/ art/ sport
A very simple schedule which is always flexible and can be very laborious. For example, not only are we working well below age level but after holiday breaks, it can be almost like going back to square one with phonic sounds.
When I began home schooling, 17 years ago, I was very much into delight directed learning and school days were a great educational and family building experience. I still love it, I am still whole heartedly committed to it, but for those of us who find each day a grind, much of the delight has gone out of it.
I am totally to committed to giving my sons the best start in life possible. Since I have a number of chronic health problems it hangs over us a little that should the day come that I can not continue with school that the boys would not slot easily or at all, into a school situation.
God's Providence
This is on my mind at present, more than normal, as I've had a couple of days stricken with sickness, mostly lying in bed, with little school work accomplished.(or housework for that matter)It is times like these, and we've had a few, where I have to really trust that the Lord does all things well, that this is the best for our family and that all things work together for good to them that love Him.
The boys spent the afternoon with one of their sisters and her son while I got some rest. They have come home delighted to have tea out and hey, they get plenty of child care experience.
What about you?
I would love to hear of the hurdles others have had to climb with learning at home and how the child involved has coped. I have wonderful support from the local home school group, in which I have been very active, but honestly, few seem to have had too many dramas with learning to read and other basics.
Hi Ruby, I appreciate what you have written here in your post and for your honesty in sharing. My children are still young and I am still learning, as a matter of fact the more I learn the more it proves to me how much I don't know. Anyway my ds who is 8 I would say is just an average learner, and I have come to accept this, that is why I homeschool, he is free to develop in his own time and not by the worlds criteria. My dd who is 4 is a very fast learner. I take each day as it comes and put my trust in the Lord, above all else they are His children. I will begin to pray for you Ruby and stand with you and believe for full health and healing. Sorry for the long reply!
ReplyDeleteLot's of love...x
Hi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteYou are not alone in the struggles that you so honestly share. When I started homeschooling my three eldest had all been taught to read at school. My first completely homeschooled daughter was my child with learning difficulties. I thought at the time that I was doing something wrong and how I stuck things out, I will never know! It took almost three years before she could read well enough to work without my help. I always considered her "behind" until a few years ago when we decided to give her private guitar tuition. She was a natural and her teacher told us she was his "brightest student". I was in tears! I had only looked at her academic level and forgotten about the gifting that was inside her.
As for health, I can totally relate with you. I have been unwell for 18 months, battling severe depression and anxiety disorder. Some days are harder than ever but miraculously God has seen me through. There have been times when I thought that I couldn't handle schooling any longer but God has always managed to lift my spirits up and give me a fresh vision.
I have gone though school at home, pre packaged curriculum to unschooling...........As long as I am still happy then it works for us!
God bless you and may you find healing in your adversity.
Hi Ruby, thank you for sharing what you have. I would love to pray for you, especially over the next week or 2, that you will begin to feel better physically, and be aware of Gods presence in your day to day life. I think it's wonderful that you love your boys so deeply and are prepared to keep on homeschooling through the tough times of life. We all have them, our own mountains that we have to climb. I hope that you can feel some encouragement coming your way, and most of all that you feel God's grace about you.
ReplyDeleteMelanie x
Ruby,
ReplyDeleteLove your posting your schedule.
Hope you feel better. When you homeschool there is no substitute teacher as there is in public schools.
Also I wonder if the Visual/Spacial Learner is the flip side of ADP. See
http://www.dyslexia.com/library/silver1.htm
I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell. I hope you can find a satisfactory solution to your health issues.
ReplyDeleteYour boys are so lucky you are teaching them at home. It sounds like if they were at public school they would be like so many others who are put in the 'too hard' basket and just seem seem to slip through the cracks. At least they have your encouragement and patience to help them (although it must be very frustrating for you.)
The biggest, most important thing is what they know about the Bible and God. On top of that, everything else is icing on the cake (extra.)
ReplyDeleteTry not to worry about these things and trust God that everything will work out the way He wants it to. I know that is easier said than done, but that is my best advice to you. :)
My kids are too young for me to tell you about any delays or anything but, the closest thing I can think of is that my oldest son didn't really start saying words until after age 2 and most doctors now adays would have considered him delayed but I remember hearing that Einstein didn't learn to speak until he was 6 and my best friend's daughter didn't start speaking until after age 2 or 3 either and is doing very well at age 14. Anyhow, it's best not to compare our kids to others.
Ruby,
ReplyDeleteThanks for this very helpful and practical post! I really benefit from seeing other people's schedules. In a way, I think you are "brave" for sharing the struggles with reading that your boys have. I tremble when I post about Becca's reading delays, because so few people want to share the struggles of homeschooling. I value your honesty!
Bethany
I have thought more about this as I have been praying for your health. In my own family my brother Keith did not read well at all in his early years. In high school he became a late bloomer and now reads a lot, or maybe has a lot of books.
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteYour homeschooling post is excellent, so open and honest, and I thank you for your honesty. ♥
Our homeschooling experience has not always been easy, either, as I suffer with chronic asthma. My husband is my tower of strength, and does most of the housework, cooking etc so that we are able to homeschool.
On some days, we homeschool with me using a nebuliser, and that can be tricky trying to work in between times.
It's incredible how God will enable us to do all things, and the things that we can't do, He provides someone to help us in our endeavours to honour Him.
Blessings,
Jillian
<><
Hello Ruby,
ReplyDeleteWe had a first child similar to yours, followed by an auditory processing difficulty with one of our daughters. I spent some time thinking she was just messing with my mind. Since teaching the first was almost not teaching, I couldn't understand how we could go over the same work again and again (and again!!!) I really began to think it was something personal.
Our story has had a happy ending, thankfully, as it was a very challenging time.
Thankfully, there are many jobs your boys will be able to excel in, even if they are not strong in academics. A sound work ethic goes a long way, and this is something that is not dependent on how well you read :)
Thanks for all the comments here.
ReplyDeleteand especially those who have had or are having similar struggles. I will work on another post about what we actually do so far as APD goes.
B.B.
"I spent some time thinking she was just messing with my mind."
You bettcha!
Glad you had a happy ending. What age would you say things began to fall into place? No one seems to be able to predict that. Did you just keep plugging away or did you get outside help?
I am hopeful....every day!
His mercies are new every morning!
Dear Ruby, I'm so sorry to read that you have been unwell; yet how sweet it was to me to read that you accept this from God's hand and don't struggle to impose your own idea of what circumstances *should* be over the circumstances He sends. That is a great encouragement to me today, thank you. You are right that He does all things well, with regard to everyone we love and everything that concerns us. I'm so grateful He has given you that trust; perhaps illness is worth it to learn such things as well as you have. I'm sure that example of trust is the most precious gift, and the best preparation for life, that you could give your boys.
ReplyDeleteAs for your difficult days homeschooling and schedule, I understand a little b/c we had a foster child who was learning disabled. It was an incredibly difficult time of my life (and I relapsed into mono) because it never let up: day after day the same battles with the homeschooling. I pray God will give you much wisdom, encouragement, strength, and grace; I am sure that He has created your boys exactly as they are, for a specific purpose. And from what I've read elsewhere on the blog they are learning things that many children their age are far 'behind' them in -- such as kindness to others, diligence, joy, helpfulness, etc., which may be even better preparation for life than much 'book learning'. I wish I could offer helpful advice but I only have enough experience to sympathise! Please know you will be in my prayers. I will try to pray daily.
Hugs. Fortunately we have not have any learning disabilities, or I may have quit homeschooling. From those who do have them, it is a long battle. I can say from talking/ counseling with those who have had to deal with this that it caused them to have a greater humility and dependence on the Lord than they would have otherwise had. They also become very huge resources for others going through the same problems later on. Praying for you. You are doing the right thing, looking for resources and encouragement.
ReplyDeleteI'm homeschooling three boys. My oldest could be the poster child for ADHD. He's bright, no doubt about it, but getting him to DO THE WORK is another story.
ReplyDeleteMy middle boy is deaf in one ear and HoH (Hard of Hearing) in the other. When he was at school, he'd use up most of his energy just taking in the information - working hard to hear the teacher, filtering out all the other noises, having to ask for clarification when he didn't understand... or, not realizing he had missed something.
Thankfully the youngest seems to be "normal", whatever that is!
Ruby, I was greatly encouraged recently, hearing Voddie Baucham speak at a conference. I'm trying to correct my view of homeschooling from "education" to "discipleship". Their character is much more important that the academics! (I know you know this :0) ) He talked about preparing our kids. Are we focusing more on preparing them for university or preparing them for heaven?
I'm getting reoriented :0)
I don't know what my boys' futures hold, but I know Who holds them, and I'm clinging to Him,
Julie
thanks for that Julie.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I love about visiting your site is the enthusiasm which exudes from it!!!
You, and VB, are right of course, character is much more important than academic achievement and wisdom is the principal thing.
It is amazing how much the home schooling community can get focused on the academic results.:-(
Ruby, I've only just now read this post. I was rather preoccupied last week :(
ReplyDeleteIt was very brave of you to write this, and I thank you for sharing. It strikes me that I've been a very selfish and preoccupied friend, and for that I apologise. Truly.
Do you have an email address so that I can write privately? I'd love to have a chat - and possibly be more supportive?!
Take care.
Hi Jeanne,
ReplyDeleteI have an address on my blog profile and I'd love to hear from you. But do not feel bad - it is great to get encouragement on line but I am blessed with a lot of real life support. I realise now that I am back on deck that I sounded a bit low in this post, and it does get me down, but I always bounce back. I am trying to focus on the character aspect, especially on our couple of days at the coast this week.
Blessings!