Friday, August 14, 2009

An Interesting Autobiography



Mao's Last Dancer

The autobiography of Li Cunxin


I picked up this book at my sister's place but she had lined me up to read it for some time.

It is the very interesting story of a Chinese peasant boy who became an international ballet dancing sensation.

What adds to the interest for us is that Li Cunxin eventually married a former Rockhampton girl who also became an international ballet dancer. Mary McKendry is not known personally to me but I knew her sister well as we were in the same class in high school! and I visited their home on occasion.

Cunxin's life is extremely interesting because he was born, the sixth of seven sons, to poor peasant farmers during the regime of Chairman Mao and he describes in depth the life they endured as well as many fascinating facts, from his point of view, of Chinese life at that time. Also, since he was born in 1961, his whole life and the events he describes mirror closely the dates in my own life which really brought it to life in a sense of what was happening in the world . I am fairly naive as to the historical events of the Revolution in China and this was a good eye witness account to open my eyes a little.

Cunxin himself, like most of the billion Chinese people, was completely brain washed by the propaganda of Mao's philosophy and rule and joined, as a young boy, their red scarf youth. His amazing release from a certain life of poverty came about by being chosen to train in Madame Mao's Dancing Academy. This was also an institution of political brain washing but eventually Cunxin is given the opportunity to dance in America. He marries, defects, is banished from China, divorces, re unites with his parents and eventually remarries the above mentioned Mary.
For a non christian book, and one in which the author was raised in a mixture of ancient Chinese superstition and communist anti religion, it contains very little and mild bad language. Also, some immorality . This sadly when Cunxin escapes the rigid, controlling rule of the Chinese and goes to liberal America. Cunxin eventually ended his dancing career in Australia and now lives and works here with his family.
I found the book well worth the read and if you pick it up, don't be put off by the thickness of it. It has large print and thick pages. Not a laborious read at all.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read your review of this book, Ruby, especially with your personal connection to the family!! It has been on my list for awhile.

    There is a young adult version of this story as well - maybe it would remove the worst of the language. Worth a try perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne,
    "I danced with a man, who danced with a girl, who danced with the Prince of Wales." .... about my connection!!!!!

    Re the language, it is actually very mild eg. words for human excrement, not swearing or blasphemy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like my kind of book! and yes.........I can relate to that period of history too!! We must be a similar age Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing the recommendation for this book. I'm always on the look-out for a good book to read. I find your connection to the author very impressive, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh!! We have that book here, so I must read it...

    I didn't realise the author ended up living in Australia!

    Thanks for the review Ruby.

    blessings, Amanda

    ps. I no longer have my blog Priceless Pearls. I just lost my heart for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacqui,
    Your profile pics makes you look younger. Note, I do not have my face on my profile!!!! I'm actually a kate 1962 model, but at our age, a year or two is neither here nor there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda!
    Sometimes the whole blogging/ internet thing is too much if you feel you have to be at it regularly. I enjoy it way too much, but it was good to have a break away for a few days and I need to do it regularly.(Not just blogging but email and internet in general)
    I was hoping yours might be just a break but when I went over to comment I see you have deleted it. God bless you and I hope you get this message and comment occasionally. I was just getting to know you!!!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting review. Biographies sure make history come alive. But I have a side comment this time.

    You wrote: "Cunxin escapes the rigid, controlling rule of the Chinese and goes to liberal America."

    I have never heard my country described as "liberal" before, but, sadly, we are changing so much. Our values have become very secular here. Even many churches have become very liberal to attrack the numbers of people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's interesting New Kidd,
    I meant liberal in that he came into contact with alcohol, drugs and sex outside of marriage which were previously outside his life experience.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.