The end of another very busy week! As I've read other blogs this week I've read of school schedules and themes, art projects, recipes, ironing habits, housekeeping tips, facial products, some deeper theological musings and some humourous happenings. I have to say, all of these have happened to some degree in my home this week too. Okay, except ironing! Remember that song - Some days are diamonds, some days are stone? la la la la......
Most weeks are like that to some extent. Not stone so much, but mostly routine, with wonderful diamond moments! Highlights this week: spontaneous learning moments with the boys, reading "My Country", one of my favourites Aussie poems and looking at the work of Albert Namatjira.
Spending time with my daughters, who after a few years out of home, I still miss terribly.
Seeing my two little grandsons who have a new trick every time I see them now. They are fast approaching their first birthdays! A cuppa with dear Dad and Mum this morning..... ain't life grand.
Some times I want so much to put aside the busyness of life and mull more on the deep issues. I long to be a Mary and sit at Lord's feet and learn of him. And yet at times I feel I have chosen the other part, the Martha one, with all the worry and care and franticness. It is unavoidable in our busy family lives. I was pondering this thought this morning as I looked upon my house with a weeks worth of unfinished chores and felt a little overwhelmed.
As I filled the sink to wash up -yes, a late night and washing up not done :0( , I started to read my little verses stuck above the sink. "But Godliness with contentment is great gain..." Ah..how I whinge and whine. Instead of being thankful for the home and family I have! Thank God for dirty dishes, we have an abundance of food and good company.
Once again I think of the importance of finding that balance. To love and serve the Lord with a contented heart. To sit quietly and learn of Him, even in the busy and stressful times of life. To be thankful in all our circumstances. To have the heart of Mary even when the demands of Martha are upon us....
My little work station (below) the site of many of my contemplative moments! A butterfly (top)photographed by my S1.

It's refreshing to read your post of how life is everyday. Thank you once again for bringing to my mind about stopping and being a Mary. It is so easy to become a Martha isn't it!
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby - what a sweetie! i love this post, how you share your heart with us. My kitchen sink gets full often too, LOL! I'll remember your musings next time I cringe at the pile of dishes to be washed!! So glad you've had some diamond moments this week with your family. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteMelanie x
Hi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteLeaving the dishes overnight here is a recipe for disaster, as the ants invade our kitchen. We have to be ever so careful so that we don't leave any food scraps laying around, or we will have an invasion. :(
One of my favourite verses is Hebrews 13:5.
Blessings,
Jillian
<><
I too often long to just read and contemplate God's words, but stuff keeps yelling at me - like children, housework, and the computer!!
ReplyDeleteRuby,
ReplyDeleteI praise God for our weekly rest on the Lord's Day. It is wonderful to have a time of rest and pondering God, His Word, and His doctrines. Thank God that we have at least one day a week to force the balance between Mary and Martha. And, thank God that we can think and pray while doing the menial and mundane chores of life! And, lately, I have even learned to be grateful for insomnia, as it gives me many hours of uninterrupted prayer and reading of Scriptures!
Bethany
"Thank God for dirty dishes."
ReplyDeleteMy sentiments so exactly, Ruby: I have often felt overwhelmed with gratitude as I stare at that pile and the commonplaces of love and of our families and of home that it represents -- God is so good to fill our lives with such 'chores'.
Your reflections on Mary and Martha and learning to be thankful for our responsibilities, and to sit and learn, and not to oppose these to each other but to do each so that they balance the other have been a great help to me.
I needed to read this today. I was thinking about all the things I haven't done, haven't got etc etc and God reminded me of the verse that you quoted,"Contentment is great gain" so that is the second time I have heard it in two hours!
ReplyDeleteThanks x
You are not the Martha if you have verses of Scripture on your window while you work on dishes. Goo idea. I like Deut. 33:25 that my father once reminded me of--"As thy day, so shall thy strength be."
ReplyDeleteA Modern Day Essene.
ReplyDeleteHi Jacqui,
I'm glad you dropped by because I tried to comment on your new faced and very impressive looking blog last night and can't get comments to work. Is that just me or something to do with the new set up? I'll check over tomorrow and see whether others have been able to comment. I couldn't see an email address so I hope you get this.
I have been fiddling all weekend with my blog and made quite a few mistakes! I hope to have it back to "normal" soon!
ReplyDelete