
Both of our sermons yesterday were around the theme of prayer. Providentially, these two passages of scripture fell on the one day, even though we are working through two completely different books of scripture. Don't you love that about the Word of God! The way everything fits perfectly and scripture interprets scripture!
"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our father which is art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name." Matthew 6:9
How privileged we are, who have been adopted as children, to call God our father. With trust and confidence we call upon this special and intimate name. And to call him our father, we acknowledge that this privilege is not just bestowed on us but on all who call upon the name of Jesus Christ, his own Son. When we call him our father in heaven, we also acknowledge his sovereignty and kingship over us. We look forward to that inheritance which is ours in heaven.
Our second sermon was from that quite complicated passage in 1 John 14-17. (Concerning praying for someone who has sinned a sin unto death.) As Pastor pointed out using references to 1 John 2: 18 & 19 and 1 John 3:14 and 1 John 4:3, Apostasy, turning away from the biblical christian faith and hatred for the people of God, is the sin referred to here.
Matthew Henry on Praying for Others.
"We ought to pray for others as well as for ourselves, for our brethren of mankind, that they may be enlightened, converted, and saved; for our brethren in the Christian profession, that they may be sincere, that their sins may be pardoned, and that they may be delivered from evils and the chastisement of God, and preserved in Christ Jesus."
I know that my own prayer life waxes and wanes. It is good to be encouraged and reminded of our need and our duty and the great privilege to pray to God as father. My friend Heidi commented on my post from Psalm 42 the other day that the Book of Psalms is becoming more and more a book of prayer for her. This is how I feel too. And especially when words fail or my heart is overwhelmed these words of repentance, forgiveness, dependence and praise become invaluable to me. May God, who is our father bless you this week!
You know, it is just so easy to pray - to talk to our father,and yet, like you, my prayer life fluctuates greatly depending on what's happening in my life. In a crisis you'll find me coming closer and closer to him. When he has everything under control I tend to forget his mercies to me and go my own foolish way.
ReplyDeleteI too love the Psalms. I love knowing large chunks by heart. These words, hidden in my heart, give me great comfort in times of trial.
Thanks, Ruby, for this reflection.
Good morning Jeanne!
ReplyDeleteYes, we are very fickle aren't we. I am similar in that I can take things a bit for granted when things are going well. I have noticed that I often have a period of real depth and closeness to the Lord before a major trial. I don't recognixe it until later, but then realize that I have been prepared.
God is so good to us, even though we are so weak.
Have a wonderful week!
Ruby it is always such an encouragement to read your Sunday blogs. These were such good thoughts to read this evening, and tied into a sermon Ruben read to me this afternoon by Martin Luther on how we know the Father by looking at Christ.
ReplyDeleteI read the other day something about how God designs afflictions to drive us closer to Him in prayer, because without them we would stray away (and such is certainly my experience). It is a joy to think that our prayers for ourselves and others to be preserved are actually being answered when God afflicts us.
Ruby,
ReplyDeleteI hope that prayer-warriors like you pray for people like me! I am such a ditz at times. But I love the reminders.