Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Golden Childhood XI


Summer of Terrible Thirst...

In the summer of 1972/73 I turned 10 years of age. I had always dreaded needles and had been told that I didn't have any vaccinations due until January '73 when I had turned 10. Whew! What a relief. During that Winter, though I don't recall it now, I apparently suffered a really bad dose of the flu and took a good while to get over it. Then I seemed to fade away loosing weight steadily all year. 1972 was a big year for us. My eldest sister married in the October. This was a huge event for me as a junior bridesmaid but I was teary and emotional all through it. By the long Christmas holidays I was getting thin and lethargic. I was constantly thirsty...dying of thirst... and constantly running to the toilet. To Dad and Mum the symptoms were familiar. They took me along to the doctor and sure enough I was diagnosed Type 1 diabetic (Juvenile onset it was called then). I spent a week in the local hospital getting stable and learning how to manage this new condition and headed home, with an injection to look forward to every day for the rest of my life!



Dad took on the giving of injections each morning and mum ably looked after my diet. Since we ate very well this was not too big of a deal. Mum also supervised the urine testing a couple of times a day. I had to collect the urine and then we put a few drops in a test tube with the testing tablet and the colour change indicated the amount of glucose present. One morning Dad was late in from the dairy and Mum suggested she administer my insulin. From that day forward I gave my own shots!



Urine testing for glucose, in a test tube.
In the May school holidays of '73 and '74 I attended the Diabetic children's camp at Tallebudgera on the Gold Coast. This was both a scary and an exciting adventure for the little girl from the Central Queensland Bush. It was also a great learning experience for me.
Being diabetic did affect my school life, particularly before it was diagnosed and managed, when I was unwell. Once I got stabilized I pretty much carried on as normal and once again started to achieve good academic results and excel at sports.
I remember well my first hypo (hypoglycemia - low blood sugar). Traveling home on the school bus I began to feel woozie and put my head down. Every thing felt and looked furry and I was quite spaced out! Our dear bus driver, who knew us well and had been forewarned by Mum and Dad kindly drove us up to the house to spare me the kilometer walk. This was the talk of the school, not so much my hypo, but that Mr W. actually drove someone right to their house! Unheard of...


Thankfully, test strips became readily available for testing urine before I had to go to boarding school in 1975. These showed glucose, protein and ketones by the colour changes present.


Initially I used glass syringes and metal needles which required frequent boiling up to sterilize them . Over time these were replaced by disposable syringes and tips which were also much more convenient.



Boarding school was definitely the biggest hurdle for me especially with the need to keep my diabetes well controlled. No doubt it was a huge thing for Mum and Dad too, but you know as a kid, I only saw things from my point of view and it was only years later that I discovered just how difficult this had been for them. Added to that my sister had died in 1969, really only a few years before, primarily from complications of diabetes.

These days having diabetes is not the terrible thing it was then. We have glucometers which test blood glucose in a matter of seconds, meaning that our diet can be more flexible, improved insulin, and good medical services in all areas of care. I do have four injections a day now but while this is an inconvenience it also produces a much more stable control and long term better outcomes.
I have never wanted to be identified as that girl/ woman with diabetes, preferring to be identified by other characteristics, but I have to admit it has been a huge factor in the course my life has taken. In my late teens and early 20s I had many "close calls" and hospitalizations due to ketoacidosis and consequently did to myself a lot of long term damage. I did not get my act together until the Lord graciously saved me, but those complications have been a big factor in my working life, bearing of children and health to this day.

13 comments:

  1. I love that photo of you as a junior bridesmaid. Pretty dress!

    It must have been very hard for your parents to let you go to boarding school knowing how seriously diabetes could affect you.

    My grandfather was diabetic, although he didn't 'get' it until he was 40. I remember him testing his blood before the midday meal. There was a boy in my class who was diabetic. (Grade 5) I remember vividly the day the teacher organised a spelling competition and handed out lollies as rewards. Even though this boy was on the winning team he refused the lollies as he knew it would affect him. Funny how something as simple as that made such an impact on out class - fancy having to knock back lollies!?!?

    {PS The baby is spinning around and around on your babystology widget on your sidebar and is making me dizzy.}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good gracious, Ruby, I had no idea!

    I have a friend (a fellow homeschooler) whose two boys both have Type 1 Diabetes. Our boys play soccer together and a couple years ago the team organized a "soccer clinic" fund-raiser to help get insulin pumps for the boys. Now they only have to do one "pokey" every three days, as they're able to leave a tiny catheter in, which connects to the pump.

    Do any of your kids have diabetes?

    Take good care of yourself, my bloggy friend :0)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum-me,
    The fabric of those dresses was absolutely gorgeous! I still have mine. Mum took it up so I could wear it as a good dress but my second daughter wore it to their 25th anniversary dinner in 1997!

    Julie,
    The pumps are quite expensive here too. A lot of younger kids are getting good control and more freedom with them. New things are happening all the time. One of the reasons I believe it is by far not the worst that could befall one.
    Praise God, none of my own have developed it. There is a very strong history of Type 1 in my Mum's family and Type 2 a few on both sides.
    My girls were concerned about developing Gestational Diabetes but had trouble free pregnancies, which I was soooo thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting post Ruby. I enjoyed reading it. You have a very easy manner in writing and it always leaves me disappointed when I come to the end!

    I must admit, I am very relieved I had never developed diabetes... as a child or adult. I have a 'weak
    ' stomach and would have tremendous difficulty injecting myself 1, 2 or 3 times daily! That must have been very challenging for you I imagine.

    I remember the Tallebudgera Camp. I attended it during primary school, as did my own children.

    Thank you again Ruby for a peak into your childhood...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again you have written so compellingly. I love how when the Lord came into your life you were better able to manage the diabetes. Can I be so bold as to ask what is "ketoacidosis" and how did it damage your health and your working life? Was this part of your recent illness you wrote about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda,
    Great that you are still dropping by! I have been told I write just as I talk but, fortunately for you. you don't get the flat, toneless Aussie accent that I have!!
    NewKiddontheBlogg,
    Here is a link for some information
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis
    It is episodes such as this which contribute to renal nephropathy and vessel damage in other places, which I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby what a fascinating (as well as heart-wrenching, I can imagine the impact of all those details on your daily life, and on your parents anxieties for you) post about what it was like to have diabetes before all the *relative* conveniences we now have for such a life-altering condition. And what a wonderful bus driver; I felt like cheering reading that he didn't make you walk 2 km in that condition!

    That's a really lovely picture of you as a bridesmaid. I'm sure it's all the more poignant because of all the changes not just in your family but in your long term health and your school situation etc. What a hard complex of change for a ten year old to be dealing with. Yet it's good to read about the way God takes us to meet His mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Ruby, that is a very personal post to share, but I really apreciate you opening your heart and allowing your blogging friends to experience a part of your life! Thank you!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ruby, that is a very personal post to share, but I really apreciate you opening your heart and allowing your blogging friends to experience a part of your life! Thank you!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ruby, I had wondered about your health problems. Thank you for sharing in this post.

    I also enjoy your writing style. You need to write a family history next!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate the positive comments on my writing. I am finding it difficult in one way as I think I am a very open person but obviously I am not sharing all the nitty gritty and emotional thoughts in posts like these.

    Jeanne,
    We are writing a family History for my Dad's side for the 100 year anniversary of settlement of our properties, which was what got me going on this series.
    My piece will be much shorter for the book and a lot more detailed with names and places and more family oriented.

    I actually struggle a little with my "writing style" as it lacks a bit of finesse! but your comments make me think perhaps it is easy to read which is my goal.

    Mainly, my thoughts and memories are for my children. My own mum kept wonderful detailed diaries, started when the first of us went to boarding school in the early 60s and they are a gold mine for a family history lover like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ruby,
    What a beautiful dress, and you looked absolutely stunning in it. ☺

    Diabetes must have played a very significant role in your life. I go for a Glucose Tolerance Test on Monday.
    Blessings,
    Jillian
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jillian,
    Are you having problems/ concerns with your blood glucose levels? or pregnant?
    I trust all will be normal but as I said, Diabetes is not the death nell it used to be. I would be interested to know the results of your test.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.