Monday, August 3, 2009

Seeking God





Psalm 63

A psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah

O God, thou art my God;
early will I seek thee:
my soul thirsteth for thee,
my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land,
where no water is;
2 to see thy power and thy glory,
so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
3Because thy loving-kindness is better than life,
my lips shall praise thee.
4 Thus will I bless thee while I live:
I will lift up my hands in thy name.
5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness;
and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
6when I remember thee upon my bed,
and meditate on thee in the night watches.
7 Because thou hast been my help,
therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
8 My soul followeth hard after thee:
thy right hand upholdeth me.
9 But those that seek my soul, to destroy it,
shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
10 They shall fall by the sword:
they shall be a portion for foxes.
11 But the king shall rejoice in God;
every one that sweareth by him shall glory:
but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.
ooOoo

The seeking soul longs and thirsts after God. David sort him early. He longed to see his power and glory as he had in former days.He praised God, whose loving kindness is better than life itself!He feasts upon the best of which the Lord has to give and is satisfied.

He thinks, no meditates, upon the Lord, even on his bed. His rising and going to sleep are filled with thoughts of God. He rejoices in the Lord's protection remembering all the goodness of the Lord to him. And he follows hard, he strives, to walk in the ways of the Lord trusting that his enemies will be put to shame by the Lord.

ooOoo

We heard three very deeply moving messages based on this passage over the weekend. My quick outline does not in the least begin to cover the thoughts presented.
Like the psalmists, to rise up and go to sleep with thoughts of God. To long and thirst for him without whom we are dead men walking, without life or hope. To know that he fills us abundantly with good things and satisfies the hungry soul.

ooOoo

How blessed we are if we know the goodness and loving kindness of the Lord!


If you do not, then seek him while he may be found.

8 comments:

  1. It's so important that we serve the Lord with all of our heart, soul, strength and mind for our days upon this earth are numbered, and we know not when our time on this earth will be over. I keep trying to remind myself to make every moment count. :P
    Blessings,
    Jillian
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It's so wonderful to see Christians in the Bible and how they sought after God. They are our examples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby I so wish I could have heard those sermons too; I do love that Psalm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do record the sermons if you are ever interested Heidi! As this was a 3 part one Saturday night was not recorded but the two Sunday parts were. Oh...they were truly inspiring! Pastor said when I spoke to him later, he felt privileged to be called to preach on that passsage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruby I would very much like to find out how to get the recordings -- I would love to hear the sermons on that Psalm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on to it! I'll email you Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Email received. Will reply via carrier pigeon :-)

    Thanks Ruby!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.