Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Staying Calm


Incredibly, it seems it has all gone.

In the past two days, I held my breathe, hoping...praying...that all my files would be able to be restored.


The Bad News: Apparently, you can loose the whole lot, if the C drive is cleared, which, unbelievably we managed to do. {Sob} Like many women, I learn about the computer's capabilities on an as needs basis. I now can do most of the basics with pictures, documents, emails, the blog, facebook. Who needs more? Like most men, hubby needs to know what's under the bonnet. He tinkers. This is a wonderful attribute that God has given men, to discover, to invent. Just, why , oh why, on our computer!


The Good News: In the past two days, I have been able to assemble all the disks I had backed up, and I discovered that I had hard copy of most of the documents that were going to be really hard to reproduce. PRAISE GOD. Long time readers will remember we have had similar dramas before. I had kept a lot more than I originally thought. Most of the hard work will be in recopying a few files of old photographs which I am working on. These are from originals of Mum and Dad's so at least I have the photographs to work with. A huge job, but do-able. Serves me right for waiting too long to copy to disk.


Solution? Hubby suggests I get an external hard drive. He can tinker on his things without fear of wiping me out again. This was also suggested by MommyMindy, and seems to have worked for her family.


Thanks for all your supportive comments.

I really am fine. The shock has worn off and I've had a day off reading blogs. Catch up with you all soon!

10 comments:

  1. Oh Ruby,

    How discouraging! But thanks for the reminder to ask my husband to "back up" my computer onto his EHD.

    I take it for granted...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby, I'm so glad to hear that all is not lost. You can't go wrong with a portable hard drive. We were so grateful for ours when our computer crashed last year. This is a good reminder to ask my hubby if he's done a back up recently.
    Have a blessed day!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you didn't lose everything. Our computer crashed in Jan and we lost a lot of documents, so now my HB has set up the computer to automatically backup anything new. (And he bought an extra external hard drive to back up the one we already had!) I too thank God for a husband who can tinker and fiddle and work out how to fix most things to do with the car, computer, TV etc....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanking the Lord for the good news. I am also thanking the Lord for your ability to face the bad news with faith and praise to the Lord! Press on, dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't belive I missed your post. I am really sad about this. You are so gracious in your post though, which is so like you, dear Ruby.

    Glad you'll be able to resurect most of it - in time.

    We use an external hard drive too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruby,
    I'm glad that you are able to resurrect most things. We have an external flash drive 320GB, and it only cost us $119.

    I now have to work out how to copy our "C" drive to it. You have taught me a valuable lesson, my friend, thank you. :)

    Have a great week,
    Blessings,
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Every cloud has a silver lining.."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you have most of your files. A gentleman in our church put a terrabite of memory or whatever it is called in my computer because I was doing so much on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A terrabite? Must be like a whole country!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we lost the contents of our previous hard drive .. were able to recover most of our precious photos eventually, but I grieved for a while thinking all was lost! We now use an external hard drive as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.