Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Amazing Eye




“Presented with a word’s image on the retina, average readers of English can, within a few 10ths of a second, match it with one of 50,000 or more words stored in their mental dictionaries, comprehend its meaning in context and proceed seamlessly to the next word.”
—Susan Okie, in her review of Reading in the Brain


Marvel again at the incredible way God has created the human eye!

I read this quote at Miscellanies. Yes, I do link to that blog a bit, because he has some very linkable quotes over there!

6 comments:

  1. Is your computer with your memoirs restored?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always found it interesting that Darwin considered the miracles of the human eye to be one of the hurdles in his Theory of Evolution.

    We are fearfully and wonderfully made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruby,
    Does this mean that your computer is fixed?

    What an awesome God we serve! I continue to be in awe of the processes of the human body.

    Have a great week,
    Blessings,
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was marveling over this fact about the wonderfully created eye, I was thinking about how the Lord uses the quickness of the eye's processing to measure His imminent return to earth.

    I Cor. 15:52 "in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."

    Our eyes will keep processing those words in mental dictionaries, until that final twinkle...then He will meet us in the air...Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,
    Alas, no.. (See above post)I scheduled.

    Jeanne,
    Indeed we are! We were talking this over here too. How absolutely incredible to believe that, by chance and random selection, the eye just evolved! How great is our God!

    Jillian, Mindy,
    What a delight it is to read comments from others who love the Lord and marvel at his handiwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing photo, and inspiring thoughts,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.