Monday, October 11, 2010

No, is not a bad word.

Boundaries revisited.

Unlike the impala, we humans like to stretch the boundaries ~  a lot!
It takes a great deal of commitment and self control and a great measure of the Holy Spirit for us to stay on the straight and narrow path which leads to life. But God provides Grace in our time of need and in our temptations.

Most who read here with any regularity will know that my thoughts tend to meander when I begin to ponder topics like this :-) I definitely approached the boundaries topic applying to myself but also with the raising of children in mind.

We are told in scripture that a soft answer turns away wrath (Proverbs 15:1). Likewise the whole of scripture teaches us to love one another, encourage one another, bear with one another's faults. We are not to break the bruised reed or quench the smoking flax. (Isaiah 42:3)

However, scripture also teaches us to admonish one another, to speak the truth in love, to correct the wayward child/ brother. This is one area where I see boundaries being blurred in our day and age and it is affecting the whole of society. These days, no one wants to speak up and say that certain behaviours are wrong, Most of us don't want to seem judgemental or politically incorrect. We are failing to use biblical principles of loving correction, which stem from God himself, instead applying the worldly idea of boosting up the ego.


Children's self esteem and worth needs to be nurtured. As a mother I see daily how important it is to encourage and motivate the child. This begins from birth as we nurture and hold our children close. We need to bless them with praise and patient answers. It is true that little hearts, and bigger ones, can be easily crushed by vile words and negative reinforcement. But some take this to ridiculous ends. My daughter worked in child care and they were trained to never say no to the child. I know children in school who do not have their work marked as wrong for fear of upsetting the child. And I have sadly observed children who manipulate and blackmail parents into supplying their every whim lest the child become unmanageable should they dare to deny them. I cringe when I hear a little neighbour girl tell her mother she hates her, when her will is thwarted.

Now you may think this is good and will build them up ~ but I do not. A responsible parent, for love of the child and for their safety will  teach them early the boundaries in their home. "No, don't touch, that is hot!" will prevent a serious burn. "Stop, don't run on the road!" will prevent an accident, at worst the loss of a life. Thou shalt not....steal, kill, commit adultery, lie, worship idols, all no-nos which insure safety of body and soul.

Just as our Heavenly and all wise God has set us boundaries for our good, so we as parents must set similar boundaries for our children. Now children, born with a sinful nature just like us, will press those boundaries day after day. This training and restraint is for their good as they grow to maturity. It does a great deal towards our sanctification, too, for sure and is a daily ongoing battle at times. Do not be weary in well doing, for in due season you will reap in you faint not! (Galatian 6:9)

We are living in a day when people are reluctant to restrain their children from doing as their hearts desire, but unless the heart is conformed to the will of God then it is the road to destruction. Do we want to stand on that great and terrible day to give account knowing that we did not use the boundaries that God expects for fear of being different, being called legalists, being rejected?

As with many of my Monday posts, the issue is very real to me. I have adult children who do not walk with the Lord. Were we too strict? too lenient? God knows.  I have two youths still at home, pushing the boundary fences every day.  The most important thing is not to give up. To continue to lean of the Lord and seek his wisdom, in my own life and the raising of the family.


Lord, help me to know your Word and accept and practice your boundaries. Give grace to train my children in your ways and not the ways of the world. Help me to do all things to your glory and not for the  approval of men. Forgive me when I grow weary and do not lead by example.

Deuteronomy 6

6And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
8And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.

17 comments:

  1. I so totally agree with you! I have heard about the forbidding of the word "no!". I have witnessed many a parent give their child what they want, so they don't scream and throw a tantrum. I have heard children telling their parents "I hate you". All of things annoy me no end.

    This was an excellent post Ruby. It is such an important one, as it relates to our walk with God, as His children. His truth (light) is certainly showing the darkness up, in our society today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby:Every night I prayed with my kids that they would love & serve the Lord but my kids inherited their parents' stubborn & opinionated natures & thought they knew better & the boys in particular pushed the boundaries to the limit. It was exhausting & still they walked away from the Lord. Now we have the joy of watching 2 struggle back to a real & very vibrant faith! Don't be too hard on yourself. If you were faithful, God too is faithful to redeem even our most wilful children.

    As an aside, to never tell a child they are wrong or no is just the height of stupidity. Science will do that every day in every way, & usually far more painfully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words yet again. The way we speak to our kids - and they to us - is a real mine field. Similarly - and maybe more importantly - the way we behave to each other. Lots to ponder here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all you've written Ruby.

    We day 'no' to our children and set boundaries. We have had the heartache of hearing our children scream that they hate us and wish they lived in a different family. Raising our offspring is certainly a challenge, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said. I too struggle daily wondering if I'm being either too strict, or not strict enough. I grew up having the word No used on me, and I used it on my own children. The word No will not hurt a child's self esteem, but it will teach them that they can't have everything they want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Telling a child "No" also teaches them about setting boundaries in their own life. They will learn that they *can* say "no" to other people... I think it's pretty important for a young person/young adult to be able to say "NO" rather than "Okay, for a little while" or "just a little bit" or "(since I don't want to hurt your feelings) Yes". {I'm sure you know the kind of things I'm referring to}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Self-discipline is a great asset for adults and wonderful if their parents taught them this quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must have been a very bad parent as i said NO quite often, I still do to 2 grown up children. How else do they learn. It can be hard to say no to your child, but if is certainly necessary. It also lays down the ground rules in the home which they need to know, what can be done and what is considered wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Ruby! Thanks for your thoughts!

    I won't be around for a while. See you when we get internet again. I am actually glad to be away from it for a while! I will miss my blogging buddies, but I need to re-establish a routine when we get settled. And I am afraid that the computer will take time away from that.

    I will miss your insight!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  10. On NO! That's a word used with regularity around here! Great thoughts Ruby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your thoughts and inputs, friends:-)

    Rebecca, I appreciated your comment and can add that ability to say "no" to the list of boundaries we need to train for.

    Bethany, your comments are closed but still thinking of you and your family. Hope the move and settling period goes smoothly. "See" you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're definitely in the "no" club! I've heard more than enough about self-esteem. They'll get much further in life by learning to esteem others.

    When they were little, we did say "no", but we tried to use other instructions as well. Like seeing them heading toward temptation and saying, "Walk away," before we had to tell them "NO!"

    Praying your older ones will return to their faith - it's not too late :o)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Julie ~ it is never too late and I will never give up hope. It is my heart's desire ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, we're in the *no club* too :/ And I agree- no is not a bad word. Loved this post Ruby :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grrrr..

    My time of grace is apparently over. :(

    Back to being anonymous.

    I did write a lengthy reply here, Ruby, but just don't have the heart to do it again, in case this one doesn't get through either.

    Enough to say, I agree with your thoughts here.

    BB

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi BB,
    I would have loved to hear your thoughts but thanks for trying anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.