In my last post I mentioned that I had studied Logic! Premises and conclusions etc. etc. and while this is a source of some hilarity to my
Can you remember the subjects you chose in Year Eleven and Twelve?
I'm thinking English, Maths (Social Maths aka Vegie Maths :-)., Economics, Biology, Home Economics, Logic, RE. As you can see from the random choices I had no idea what I was going to do when I grew up and just took a stab at general things. I feel now, over thirty years later that each of these subjects has been useful to me in adult life.
I always imagined I would do teaching and got into the Uni here, but by the end of those five secondary years I was very "over" studying. I thought I would take a year or two off and maybe go back to the books at some later time. Of course, once one has a job, an income and a social life, it is hard to take up that challenge. So although I mooted it almost every year, encouraged by my various bosses, I never did return to study.
I began my working career in a job I absolutely loved! I was the Kindergarten Assistant in Biloela for two years. Not only have I always loved children and been interested in their development and education, but I was blessed to work with a marvelous teacher who informed and encouraged this in me. I left that job only because of my loneliness for young people of my own age and interests in what was a little bit of a rough country town in those days.
Moving to Rockhampton I almost immediately scored a job in the area of one of my other great loves....books! I was Library Assistant at the Girls Grammar School for five years. These were great years. These were firstly the years of very hectic social life of which I eventually grew weary but also the time in which I learned of my desperate need of a Saviour and by His providence, came to know the Lord.
I have of course been "teaching" for over twenty years! Again, I think all of the learning I did in high school has in some way benefitted me and my children in our home schooling venture.
Just this week I surprised myself by rattling off "Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species." when it came up in the boys work. Such clunking of the old grey matter! But it did get me thinking of the ways in which my school subject choices have been useful in real life.
You will notice that I did not do History, Ancient or Modern. While I love History now I am not sorry I didn't study it at school as it is an area that I have loved to learn about in my years of home schooling. A good general knowledge is so beneficial. I have always marvelled at my father's fabulous general knowledge being a lad who left school at year seven, didn't have TV till he was in his 50s and has never used a computer. His one downfall in Trivial Pursuit or TV quiz shows - Arts and Entertainment. Wouldn't know one movie from another!
So... What subjects did you choose and were they beneficial for later study, work or home making? Did you go on to University and what did you study? Were your high school subjects prerequisite for the course you undertook or did you have a complete change of interest?
And on another note, something I have also been pondering with all the home school neglect articles and posts in the past week, What level of education is needed to teach ones children at home? Do you think this is a factor? Would you disqualify someone who say, left school at Year 10? 12?
Just to finish off another post with a lot of meandering thoughts and get your eyes and brains working. See if you can pick me out of this Year 9 schoolphotograph.
Remember your creator in the days of your youth.


I took the college prep classes in high school and then went on to college to major in English/Lit. HA! I dropped out after three semesters to pursue true love.
ReplyDeleteI got another kind of schooling working at a restaurant for 6 years waiting tables and cooking.
So I got my book learning and my service learning in:)
I think many people who didn't finish high school are just as qualified as those with degrees to homeschool.
Yes, me too. I have a plaque that a friend gave me which says "Teaching is a work of heart." That pretty much sums it up.
DeleteWhat a fun post! Your jobs as teaching aide and library assistant sounded wonderful. I didn't go to a boarding school, but did attend an all girls state school in Sydney - we even wore pink uniforms! Ugh. I studied vege maths in years 11 and 12 too, along with history, geography, german, and photography (not the digital kind- it wasn't invented then!). I went on to Uni to do a teaching degree - majoring in history and English. I even got into the honours program Can you hear the trumpet I'm blowing? :) It all seems a world away now...Most people comment that my teacher's degree would help with home schooling, maybe it does, but I don't consider it necessary. I worked as a waitress throughout my Uni years and this helped broaden my mind! I still remember my German, although my kids learn Spanish and French. They have asked me to teach them this year...
ReplyDeleteI love the school pic, would you be on the far right, second row row the back?
I have a few friends who were school teachers before they became mums. I am sure some of that training is very beneficial but "mothering" requires a few special skills. I always love your posts and as I said before I would love you to home school me!
DeleteI loved hearing more about your early adult years, Ruby, and the interests you had and jobs you worked. How wonderful. I too majored in college in history and English -- but I got quickly very sick and never completed more than a year. Aside from convincing me that while I love history, I haven't the least qualification for it professionally (it is terribly difficult for me to read about all the shattered lives, etc); and that if the classic authors had followed all the grammar rules, they would have been just a bit too stiff and artificial to write a classic -- I feel it did little for me! I also discovered how very bad I am at public speaking. I had a very kind professor but I deserved to fail that mandatory class. The most crucial long speech for the grade was to be mostly memorised, with only a few note cards to jog the memory. I diligently memorised mine, and made my notecards with words in enormous print, highlighted, and so on. And yet, when I stood up to make my utterance before my peers, memory failed me completely -- all the big printed words and colors in highlight were useless -- I said the first line and could not for anything think of any of the intervening part before the very last line. So I stood there staring at the clock and turning deeper shades of red until I judged I had endured long enough, spoke that last line, and sat down, amid general silence.
ReplyDeleteHugs Heidi, that's the school of hard knocks.
DeleteHummm. While in general I disliked school - not because I was bad at it, but because I was bored, I did glean some good from it. I think the things that worked out best for me, with regard to jobs I held after school, would be the typing and accounting courses. The other courses have helped some with schooling my own children. I will say that I feel as though history was the least helpful course in school. I've had to do way more subsequent learning with regard to that, even though I love history.
ReplyDeleteOh - and my guess would be third from left, on the back row.
ReplyDeleteRuby: your photo won't enlarge for me & my eyes aren't good enough to try & pick you out at this size. lol :(
ReplyDeleteShall I surprise you & say I took top math & science? You'd never believe me! I ran true to form: English ~ top, top, top English; both histories; science for dummies or those who object to cutting things up; Art; I dropped French for Art. All are useless for all practical purposes but I still love all those areas of interest & have never stopped learning in them.
I took my BA in English & Drama [how useless can I get?!] but I figure if I can homeschool anyone can & I would never preclude anyone on the grounds of their education alone. Lots of people are really, really smart at things like organizing & imparting wisdom ~ & it is a sad teacher who can never learn something as they go.
(((Hugs)))
This is my feeling exactly. One of my dearest friends and one of the most highly regarded home schoolers in our group is a wonderful example of this. She left at Year 10 and has gone on to home school her nine children with marvellous results. Some escelling academically, some in music but most importantly in character and service of the Lord. Most of all she is a fantastic, practical mother. You can read of the views of "Educational Experts" but much of their wisdom is only what good mums do by instinct every day!
DeleteI enjoyed learning more about you Ruby:)
ReplyDeleteWell, I was so glad to get to year 11 so I could choose what subjects I wanted to learn finally - so I picked maths, commerce, accounting, economics and a couple more:) was SO glad to drop science and history, oh how boring they made it. I am so enjoying history learning alongside Rebekah with living books, what a change! anyway, while I enjoy homeschooling I am a little apprehensive of the higher years, though I know I only need to be one page ahead of my dd so to speak:) I'm hoping to h/s her all the way but we take it a year at a time and see how God leads and what He wants. To answer your question I am not sure one needs mega qualifications to teach their children but need a desire to want to give them a good education and the ability to find the resources they need to do that.
I love picking people out in photos though I'm not sure at all about this one, it doesnt enlarge like Ganeida said, so I'll take a wild guess, actually a couple and say it's possibly the girl on the far right in the bottom row or the girl in the middle in the second row from the top, only because both of them seem to have cheeky smiles and you strike me as a cheeky gal:)
By God's grace and your own commitment you will get that child through! It's true though isn't it? We each take it year by year, sometimes day by day, and evaluate our situation. I've always felt it was not right to say we would never sent our children to school because we don't know what lies ahead, thankfully :-)
Deleteoops sorry about that MEGA comment:)
ReplyDeleteI have tried to make the photo bigger on the post since apparently it does not enlarge for you. :-) No one has guessed right. Ganeida has the advantage of actually having met me but I am quite different now!
ReplyDeleteFront row, middle? The smile looks familar. ☺ Mind you you all look incredibly blurry & could be anything. lol
ReplyDeleteMy guess? Second row from the top --> Either first or second from the right.
ReplyDeleteWhat a pleasure to learn more about you!
I didn't attend school for Yr 8. I was truant for it and most of Yr9. I went back to school in Year 10 and then left school to work. A few months of work and I was bored so applied to the local hospital and was accepted as a Trainee Enrolled Nurse,which I completed and loved! Straight after graduating from that, I got married. So glad that one doesn't 'need' Yr 12 in order to homeschool.
Good for you! What a great example of "getting you act together".
DeleteNot only do we not need to be highly educated to home school if commitment and desire are there, but I also think it is not imperative that the children that we teach do so. My daughters left a varying stages of high school and both have done TAFE courses to gain the jobs they wanted. They are both SAHMs now but say they will possibly study again before re-entering the workforce.
I think you're the girl 3rd in from the right in the second row.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to hear of your young adult life! I took English, Chemistry, 2x maths, and Music performance at year 12 level. I enjoyed all of these subjects, music was the toughest one to get good marks in. I did go on to uni, but met my hubby in 3rd year, then got married and pregnant before graduating :) (my little baby belly was poking out of the graduation gown, lol!)
I don't think parents need higher education in order to homeschool. By the time one has children of school age, parents have had plenty of life experience to work from. I believe US research shows that homeschooled kids of non-college educated parents do fine academically, certainly better than their schooled peers.
No one has guessed correctly yet. Some of those girls you id'd were my greatest friends. We have a reunion event coming up in June and I just may take these guesses to them. Don't know whether those beautiful ladies will appreciate being me!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteI am not even going to attempt to pick you out of that picture!
I would never want to disqualify anyone from homeschooling their children. I don't think level of previous education is a real qualifier - as so many situations in life affect our highschool education. I do have a friend, who left school in Year 8, and homeschooled her children all the way through - she has done a fantastic job, because she has rolled up her sleeves and dived in to learn right along with her children now, and has proven a great example to them.
For myself - in Year 11 & 12 I studied English, Maths I, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Health & PE and music (private lessons). I choose these subjects for purely practical reasons - I was choosing between a Bachelor of Education or a Bachelor of Science (Park Ranger) at the time. A Bachelor of Education (Early CHildhood) won out in the end - I felt it would be more complementary in my desires to be a wife and mother. Never quite got round to teaching, as our children began arriving pretty quickly after our marriage. I did work as a Family Day Care Provider for a number of years while my children were preschoolers. In one way or another I think my education has prepared me fairly well for my adult life, and my role as wife and mother........with one glaring oversight - home economics (wish I'd had a bit more of that - although as it is I have learned that as I have gone along in motherhood!
Hope you have a good week! xo
I has a very poor student and didn't study very much, I preferred to read romance novels instead of being a good student. However in year 12 I studied Art, Economics, Geography, Modern European History (I loved this subject) , English. I then went on and completed a BA in Sociology and became a statistical researcher and have spent 20 years working with numbers!!! so yes, my education and degree are the reason why I have the job today. I have to say, I love statistics and quite like my job!!!
ReplyDelete