
Matthew Henry, commentary on Matthew 6: 14-15
We must forgive , as we hope to be forgiven; and therefore must not only hear no malice, nor meditate revenge, but must not upbraid our brother with the injuries he has done us, nor rejoice in any hurt that befalls him, but must be ready to help him and do him good, and if he repent and desire to be friends again, we must be free and familiar with him, as before.
Note: Those that would find mercy with God must show mercy to their brethren, nor can we expect that He should stretch out the hands of His favour to us unless we lift up to Him pure hands, without wrath, 1 Timothy 2:8
oo0oo
Since we are still going through Matthew 6, the recurring theme of forgiveness is once again in my thoughts. I have posted this quote from Matthew Henry, as it sums up some of what we heard in our message yesterday.
I can say, that although this subject comes up regularly as we read and study God's Word, there is still so much to learn. As I examine my own life I know that I am far short in fully forgiving other who have hurt me. However, having tasted the forgiveness of our merciful God, I also know that I must forgive, and that he will give grace in my time of need.
Hope everyone who is reading has a great week!
Wonderful thoughts! Thanks so much for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteHi Andrew!
ReplyDeleteI have to give Ps Winzer the research credit! This quote was on our bulletin yesterday. He is preaching through the sermon on the mount in the AM.
Hi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteForgiveness is easy, but it's the forgetting that's the hardest, and the hurt feelings take a long time to heal.
Blessings,
Jillian
<><
You are right therem, Jillian. I think that is one of the reasons why I have appreciated that this theme of forgiveness is ongoing, it keeps coming up regularly. This way I can not sweep it under the carpet. It is ever before mem nees to be dealt with and acted upon. Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.
ReplyDeleteI am always encouraged reading your Sabbath thoughts. It is good to be constantly reminded of forgiveness and mercy. As you said, there is always so much to learn.
ReplyDelete