Thursday, October 8, 2009

Apple Crumble

My family gets very excited when we have visitors for dinner. Yes, they love the company but I think the fact that I break out and make dessert is part of the general enjoyment!

Did you all make Apple Crumble in Year 8 Home Economics classes? I remember we used a great little practical recipe book called Day to Day Cookery. My copy has disappeared long since- somewhere in a move? Who knows, but Apple Crumble is simple. I'm sure you know it too but I'll post it anyway,
for Justin.
Apple Crumble

1. Peel and slice 6 green apples.
2. Cover with water. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
3. Stew until just soft.
4. Drain off most of the juice and place in a dessert size baking dish.
5. In a bowl mix approx. half cup plain flour, half cup coconut, half cup brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon.
6. Rub dabs of soft butter through the mixture.
7. Cover the stewed apple with the crumble.
8. Bake in moderate oven until top is golden.
Serve with ice cream/ custard or cream.



"Better a dinner with herbs where love is, then a stalled ox and hatred therewith."


8 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy except for the coconut, but I am sure that could be left out. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristine!
    You don't like coconut? I know a lot of kids don't. It gives the crumble a nice sweetness and texture but I'm sure there would be alternative. Hmmm.... maybe some sort of crushed biscuit or cereal. Do Americans call this a cobbler?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruby,
    We have a severe allergy to coconut, too, but our friend in Tumby Bay put breakfast cereal in with the crumble topping, and it was delicious, although hers was Apricot Crumble!

    We don't often do dessert in this home unless we have visitors.

    Thank you for sharing this recipe - our apple trees are just flowering now.
    Blessings,
    Jillian
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! You poor people who don't like coconut or are allergic to it! Coconut is one of THE most wonderful gifts to mankind from a loving Creator! You have no idea what you are missing!!! In fact, I am now inspired to write a post on my blog about the wonders of coconut. Stay tuned :)

    Speaking of being inspired...you did just that with your apple crumble, Ruby. We had it for dessert tonight. Except it was apricots instead of apples. I used your recipe...I printed it off and it is now in my recipe journal (that will go to my daughter one day) as "Ruby's Apple Crumble"

    Thank you, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruby,
    For those who don't like or can't use coconut, they could try substituting oatmeal. This looks very similar to the apple crumble/crisp that one of my daughters makes. Yummy!
    Oh - I've ejoyed reading your blogs today. I'm so glad God used Dr. Hart to help you. I lost a cousin to complications of diabetes 7 yrs. ago. She developed a brittle form of Type 2 after the birth of her 3 child. Her sister now has the same brittle, type 2 form. She is now on an insulin pump. You are an inspiration to have sacrificed so much to have your children. My prayers are with you.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine,
    You are very welcome. I have lot's of recipes prefaced with my sisters and friends names too :-)

    Becky,
    Thanks for calling over!I am also very thankful to that dear man with the unbelievablly ironic name!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reading through your recipe, thinking that mine doesn't have coconut but does have rolled oats. I think I would like it better with coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks YUMMY!! And Granny Smith apples might be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.