Despite the already climbing temperatures, which I find hard to cope with, we are excited to be starting the final term of school for 2009. I have been trying to post about bits and pieces that we do each day in our work which deal with the Auditory Processing Delays. I seem to never get to finish such a post.Most days we work on Maths,a little below age level but where my sons are able to achieve alone. (That's a great boost to be able to work ALONE!) Their English consists of reviewing Phonic sounds, vocabulary words, some grammar and writing, again at the level they can read at. Science and Social Studies are very basic and as many practical activities as possible. I read a lot of General Knowledge type books to them as well as novels, poetry. They also have to read to me each day. Our allotted subsidized Speech Pathology sessions are over for the year but we try to work on the various phonics activities and games suggested there as much as possible. After a couple of years, this has become a repetitive grind for us all. (Trying to keep positive)
This term, our support teachers from Groves Christian College, have sent some new activities which the boys are keen on. One is Signs and Safely. This is a practical workbook which we can follow up in our day to day life. This is something they can do almost entirely on their own, so they are loving it. I have always tried to give the boys the skills they need to function normally, even when they can't read everything around them so this will be great reinforcement.
The other is a comprehension book using all non-fiction pieces. This is helpful, as most of the comprehension they have been doing has of necessity been babyish stories which are of no interest to them. This gives them snippets of useful general knowledge, written at a level they can mostly read and comprehend.
Memorizing and retaining information are areas where delay is most noticeable, especially in details. We do a lot of reading aloud, me to them, covering almost any area which I feel they need to be learning. I really want my lads to be able to converse and understand what others are talking about in general conversation.
Can a non reader really complete their schooling and lead a useful and fulfilling work life? The Lord knows. I pray constantly for patience and wisdom . If I refer too often to it, please forgive, it is very heavy on my heart.
What I know is that they already size up possible future occupations by whether it will require reading.
When S2 was at the hospital the other night, he told me, after the very kind young doctor had walked out of the room, that it would be great to be a doctor. I said that they work very long, hard hours and they have to do a great deal of study to be able to treat patients. He thought that over and said, "University?" I replied " Yes, many years of university." He said no more but his face spoke volumes. :0(
We are continuing with our practical approach and plan a couple of skills days with the dads this term. We are also doing our Lamb's Book of Art session weekly with our small group. Swimming squads training is back on for the Summer, with our regular home school group, and basket ball fixtures with a local club. I'm exhausted just writing about it all!
Oh, I am so ready for the end of the year Ruby! in fact I am taking an extra week of school holidays because the thought of starting work again this week is too much to cope with!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are a lot more organized about term four than me. I might have to start thinking about it this week!
I must admit I do feel ready for the term. It is good to take the extra week if you don't feel ready I think. I find we can usually make it up some where through out the year. I REALLY struggle with the heat so it makes me keen to get through what we can before it hits. Believe me it hits very hard here in CQ!
ReplyDeleteYour second last paragraph tugged at my heartstrings.
ReplyDeleteHope your last term of school is a pleasure.
Hi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteWe start the fourth term on Monday, and I think that everyone is ready to be back at school.
I am so looking forward to the warmer weather - it has been cold here for so long.
Blessings,
Jillian
<><
Oh Ruby, I sympathize. My HoH son would love to join the military, but they won't have him.
ReplyDeleteWith your sons... who knows. They may eventually just "take off" with their reading. One of mine was a fairly late reader, though not with the same issues. I kept him well-stocked with books he was interested in, at his level and beyond.
At the time it meant lots and lots of bug books, train books, and books about tornadoes! Like yours, he was more interested in non-fiction than fiction.
Keep up the good work, Ruby :0)
Julie
Ruby, take heart! I know there are many adults who have severe literacy problems, who still find meaningful employment.
ReplyDeleteI don't want to downplay the natural grief associated with seeing your boys feel the pain of limitations, but I would like to encourage you that there was a time when occupations were not considered the open ended questions they are now.
Just having a job; having the will, the capacity, the staying power, the work ethic, to actually get out and work to supply your own/your families needs - that is what is important.
I would, ten thousand times over, rather raise two honest, hardworking boys with reading difficulties, than raise two genius boys who grow to think the world owes them a living.
I'm not saying it's an either/or situation, obviously, but, Oh! Ruby! You have worked with them, you have instilled in them a desire to have a vocation! Please don't lose sight of what a great thing that is already!!
When the time comes, the Lord will provide the opportunity for them. Does He not provide all our needs? Does He not have the times and days of your boys in His hand? Take heart, Ruby! He is faithful, and will provide.
xx
Thanks for the encouragement, B.B!
ReplyDeleteI have always shared that thought of hard work, good work ethic etc. Sometimes, when I am struggling with this whole thing I can really focus on that. Other times, I get to thinking how these days, even manual jobs, trades, need TAFE and require much more than manual skills even to get into. This is the same for things like the army, police force etc which my boys show interest in :-(
Just as kind and capable girls used to make the best nurses but these days often can't meet the uni requirements. I guess I am still grappling with not wanting the boys to just accept menial jobs, especially since they both have normal/ average IQs. This APD thing is soooo frustrating.
(As I said in the post, forgive me. I seem to battling for contentment in this area at present.)
I do know and trust that God has all this too in his capable hands and I praise him for it. Just need to practice what I preach.
I agree that the future of our children is one of the hardest things to trust Him with, particularly when every message of the world is that happiness is tied to success, which is tied to money and the esteem of men.
ReplyDeleteIt's about the opposite of the Christian message, which is that contentment is in obeying Him, and living for His glory, wherever it serves Him best.
He has, for whatever reason, allowed your boys this difficulty. You can be sure, absolutely sure, that He allowed it for His glory. Doesn't that make it easier to bear? I have to remind myself of this often when I am struggling to accept something that causes me pain or grief. And yet, if He wills it, and it will bring Him glory, it is easier to bear patiently, if only I am reminded, and don't lose sight, of our great end - to bring Him glory.
Big hugs, Ruby. I don't pretend that getting to that place of remembering, and accepting, is easy. xx
Good morning B.B.
ReplyDeleteThanks again for the encouragment and admonition to keep my eyes on the Lord and the greater goal-His Glory!