Friday, October 16, 2009

Another Park, More Art

The Lamb's Book of Art starts off with some basic lessons on Primary and Secondary colours. So last week we took a diversion from the book and had a paint session. We used only red, yellow and blue and did some mixing to create the secondary colours. Then the children made some lovely butterfly prints to observe the colours they could make. Some of them were really lovely. We mums laughed at how paint deprived some of the older ones were. They loved this! I remember when I would get out paints for the boys as littlies the older girls loved to come out and make butterfly prints, too.
Then we had each of the children collect three things from the surrounding park area to make other prints. Some made interesting use of cans and caps. Mostly they chose leaves and sticks and did a nice job with them.


A fragile leaf.


The veins are effective.

This interesting picture was made with a bunch of leaves still attached to their branch.
All our sessions as a group so far have been very basic but it has been worthwhile.
The children are enjoying it, hopefully learning something and the mums are certainly enjoying the time the families are spending together.


7 comments:

  1. Ruby, art class was always the best (one of my earliest memories is of fingerpainting -- and of enjoying it too much and getting in trouble :-). I remember the 'butterflies'! I love the beautiful leaf design and may try something like that with the autumn leaves here: it would make lovely stationery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like it! I love crafts with little ones! Their faces are so bright when they figure out that they made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun. Ruby, what is your solution for keeping your boys' work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it sure was fun!
    The storage of children's art is a problem. In fact storing all their school work has been a challenge over the years and I confess to having boxes of material stashed all around the place.
    with Art, we have usually displayed the latest pieces for a while and then they go out (rubish) unless the child particularly wants it and mine have not been sentimental like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butterfly prints are fun to make, and those prints look very effective.

    I had to laugh about the older children being 'paint deprived'. My eldest is like that, and the other day when I got out the playdough for the younger girls even Dragon decided to come and play.

    It also amazes me when Dragon or Possum have friends around they gravitate to the baby/toddler toys. The novelty factor, I suppose?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruby,
    Sounds like great fun!
    Blessings,
    Jillian
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of doing a combined art class. It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.