Thursday, March 26, 2009
The Tangled Web We Weave
The Uses and Abuses of the World Wide Web
Though I have found many sites on the internet interesting for years now, I have only recently got into blogging which has led me to check out many blogs I have thought might be of interest. Truly, there is so much good and edifying information and real life experience to be shared and read on the net,as well as good access to writers of the past, that one must acknowledge this has been a wonderful modern advance.
My main interests lie in growing in grace, in educating my children, both in the things of God and academically, and in learning all I can towards becoming a woman of wisdom. I am constantly reminding myself that people we come across through the internet are flesh and blood and I must discern my associations as I would with the people I meet in my real life. You hear so many horror stories of internet relationships and we warn our children of the rights and wrongs of dealing with people in this arena.
In my real life friendships, I seek out women who are heading towards the same goals, the same high calling. I esteem women who exemplify the woman of Proverbs 31 and who behave as Godly aged women as per Titus 2. I tend to be careful of those who do not take heed of the the ninth commandment and gossip about others. As a keeper at home I aim to focus on my husband, children and family, not going from house to house, but seeking also to extend a hand to those in need as I am able and enjoying the blessing of a wide circle of friends.
Many of the sites I frequent support and encourage all these qualities which I value and wish to emulate . Some are more theological, some more towards education. Now with my own blog, even one which is not widely read, I am very conscience of the responsibility we hold as Christians, to glorify God, to be above reproach in what we write. If I am writing about trivial family doings I tend to jot it down and publish it quickly but my resolution is to draft anything which could be seen as inaccurate, doctrinally suspicious or perceived as gossip and hurtful to anyone in any way.
I have sadly read some very poisonous posts over the past couple of months. Scripture tells us to esteem one another better than ourselves. I do not think it is my responsibility to investigate every minute accusation about another believer, preferring to take a person at face value, in what they have written, as I would in a real situation.
There is no doubt that there will be deceivers, false teachers and those who abuse the tenderness of the christian community in general, who will creep in and do their best to cause disruption. In this case we do need Godly leaders who will speak up to point out their deception. There must though, be an observance of biblical practice, to seek out the offender, to seek repentance and restoration before taking it to the church. This blackening the name of others across the internet and therefore across the world, under the pretense of exposing them, only brings shame and sorrow on the people who profess the name of Christ and condemnation before an eagerly watching world.
Too many modern Christians seem to be going off on a tangent and leaving the established and orthodox churches over minors that they are majoring on and so leaving the oversight of the local elders, who should deal with these sorts of sins.The internet has not and never will replace the God ordained order of the local assembly. Not in preaching, teaching, discipling or disciplining. I can read many wonderful articles and be truly touched by the testimony and teaching of a Godly older woman with an edifying website, and I have been. It will not, can not, replace the loving example of the women God has placed in my own congregation and circle of acquaintance. The ones who see you struggle with little ones, lack of sleep, a difficult husband, a besetting sin. The ones who love you enough and esteem themselves so little that they will venture to draw a bad attitude or a wrong behaviour to your notice.
We can say pretty much as we like on the internet with only our consciences and good sense, perhaps our spouse to restrain us. Some use this as an excuse to let their little fire, their tongue, run free using the keyboard in its place.
And what of our witness now and down the corridor of time? Will what I have written today one day come back to haunt me at a future date. Have I hurt a brother or sister in what I have said? Harmed their reputation, belittled their beliefs? Have I placed a stumbling block before someone or caused a precious little one to stumble? Have I been a true witness for the Lord Jesus Christ? Have I sought the kingdom of heaven, the good of my neighbour the good name of myself and others?
Get wisdom! Get understanding!
Wisdom is the principal thing!
A godly minister was asked why he had not published a book yet though he has extensive writings and preaches so powerfully. I liked his answer (and I seem to remember he quoted it from some other well known preacher of the past). He did not want to get to old age and have to retract all he had written.! This was not said by one who was airy fairy in doctrine and undecided, but one who knew the great responsibility he bore in declaring what the Lord says.
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and on her tongue is the law of kindness." Proverbs 31:26
"The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things:" Titus 2:3
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ruby,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very wise post, my dear! The computer can be an enemy disguised as a friend. The internet (especically the blogosphere) can be enjoyable or disheartening. Lately, I am just undone by it all! I have started questioning everything that I write... and deleting even more than gets published. And, it seems like I am retracting often... omitting later... and expecting the worst.
I cannot take the pressure anymore. I am glad that your blogging philosophy is a good one to start with! The fact that you take a long time to write "deeper" posts shows great wisdom!
Bethany
You will "edit" your blog as God grants you the wisdom. May he lead and bless you in that. But can I just say, that all that shows that He is "Growing you in grace"!!! Your aim was just that and God is so obviously using that in your life. As well, your struggles have been a great blessing to a number of your readers. Especially I think the humility with which you are able to confess and admit these weaknesses. I long for that sort of attitude - but admit I am not a peson who could openly share that over the net. Your long distance friendship has certainly sharpened and blessed me.
ReplyDeleteA side observation - the Lord is putting you through some very trying times and the stress which has come from the blog situation would not be helping. I can see the wisdom in what you and your husband have decided. If you put God first, as I know you try to do, even if the trial is not healed or taken away, he gives grace and strength! What a mighty God we serve! You, Paul and the children will all benefit.
Our study last night was on Psalm 57. I encourage you to look at it with the theme in mind: Fixing our hearts on God. The heart fixed on providence 1-3; the heart fixed with patience 3-6; the heart fixed to praise 7-11.
Let us fix our hearts upon God!
(Of special note and interest, my glory v8, my tongue. Compare Ps. 16:9; Acts 2:26(quoting it) also Ps 30:12)
Ruby
Thanks for stopping by my blog from UBP!
ReplyDeleteRuby, Did you try to leave a link on my blog for a blitz? The name was Ruby, and the title was similar to yours, but I'm not sure. Anyway, if you didn't try to link up, don't worry about it. If you did, we're having trouble with the link. Try again and copy the title of your post into the spot.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post ruby! Amen!
ReplyDelete