Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Straightening out those lines!

My own comment yesterday, that I am not really a straight lines type of person got me thinking about that statement and my own character.

In most things, I like a casual, thrown together look and feel. When I first discovered scrap booking I had a marvellous time putting together pages in this fashion. But over time, as I observed my friends scrapbooks, I noticed how much easier it was to look through the ones that had neat straight lines and co-ordinated colours and pages. The same goes for house decor, though finances play a part here as well. I have always put together second hand bits and pieces of furniture, with random colours that go together but not always so well co-ordinated. I think it is something one is born with, a flair for creativity and design. If one has to learn it, it comes with great difficultly and I often prefer to get help from ladies I know shine in this area.

In mothering and schooling I think I am naturally the same way inclined. Preferring a spontaneous approach to meeting the needs of little ones and enjoying the times that school works drifts into a "delight directed" lesson.

But here's the rub. As a young mum, and when I had the four doing school, things tended to get just a little out of hand!! I began to see that "decently and in order" and "line upon line" were more likely to aid me in creating the warm, happy and above all God fearing home, I longed for. As I observed the women in my life who I esteemed to have things much more together, I began to order my thoughts also. (I must add that my own mum was a very organised mother of many, who raised us in the days without electricity and modern time saving devises. I am truly blessed to have such an example to draw from.)
Now I confess, my housekeeping still leaves much to be desired, but I know that orderliness in other areas has saved me from a great deal of stress and unnecessary tension. Now we do the lists! Shopping, menus, chores, budgets, school work- both academic and other related activities. Regular times for private, family and church worship. We have the whole family schedule on a large white board in the dining room (some times I suspect I am the only ones to refer to it!) We have the regular visits to the Grands (still do the spontaeous ones) and they appreciate knowing we are coming at set times.
I know I will not ever be the pin up girl for domestic perfection! Relationships are still my main priority. Putting God first in all things. Caring for my family and being the heart of my home, opening our doors in hospitality. As I straighten out the lines of my mind I feel more able to do these things. I want my home to be a place where people live, people learn, people love and people laugh.
The last couple of weeks I have not felt so well and the disorganisation thing has risen up to haunt me - thus the pondering on these things. A little self motivation!!

"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song: he also is become my salvation." Isaiah 12:2

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the Lord." Psalm 113: 9

"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

2 comments:

  1. I am a straight lines girl, myself! And, I LOVE lists.

    Paul forced me to start making menus last year and I enjoyed that too. Since about August (when we moved to Missouri) I kind of stopped my menu listing and more chores listing - BAD ideas! We still have not gotten back on track with chores! I really do need to get back on track with those... the only reason I do not, is because i know that I need to update the layouts of each... ugh.

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany,
    You must have been commenting here while I commented at Grace in Bloom!
    Dear Bethany, how convicted and selfish I feel about my recent not so good health moaning. You so encourage me to continue on in the strength of the Lord. I do not know how you manage everything with small children, school etc, but I do know from whence your strength comes. All the lists and routine in the world are pretty useless when we are laid low. Be encouraged, when your children are older they are a great help and give dad a break.:o)
    Certainly praying for your healing, and may the Lord's grace be sufficient for you.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.