
After a week long hiatus from the internet and prior to that a self imposed limitation on blog surfing, I gave myself quite a long time to look around today. (Drafted yesterday) Many "deeper" posts get churned around in my mind but time and my own reserve about touching on some things have often stopped me. I have never done a post on what I believe about ..........
I think through my Sabbath Thoughts my reformed views of doctrine come through. I think my love of family, church and friends is obvious as most of my posts centre on them. I do not feel the need to elaborate on every small detail but I hope my love for my Lord, heart to learn, and my charity to those of differing ideas is also seen.The blogs I have added to my reader are intentionally those I find edifying, often like minded but not necessarily on every point. I am drawn towards women who display a gentle spirit and humility before the Lord, who challenge with their posts rather than "teach" as an authority. It is a fine line between expressing ones views and being a good Titus 2/ Proverbs 31 example and becoming a guru, whose word must be obeyed. My post The Tangled Web expresses my thoughts about the responsibility we have in this area.
Last time I went blog surfing I was appalled by the nastiness I encountered, this time it is something much more subtle which is bothering me. As I said, I read some very beautiful and encouraging sites so it is not a sweeping observation. Today I looked at a number of sites on the head covering issue. ( I am of the cover for public worship variety but have been praying about this and am interested in others thoughts and views.) What I found as a common thread or feeling with most of the places I looked was quite a lot of writing on submission and the connections between the covering and submission, both to God and husbands. I believe both are biblical. Alas, I am very human and struggle to uphold the high standard set there in.
But the tone to me seemed very condescending. Even when speaking of a great "spiritual awakening" one seemed to be glorifying self and several of the women, while claiming submission to husbands, appeared to have very little respect for other God given authority and men in general. Some seemed to be naming their husband as head of their home yet claiming all sorts of superior spiritual insights.
I sincerely hope I have a wrong impression. It is soo hard to really hear someone when you are not talking face to face and do not see their daily walk and relationships. Knowing real life women who are like this colours my opinions. You probably know some too. She crams the hat on for worship, she home schools her many children and all the rest. But she rules her household with an iron rod, hubby defers any decision to her and checks sometimes even for confirmation before announcing the family policy on anything. A covered head does not a meek and gentle spirit make!
I'm sorry, I sound jaded. It is not my wish to sound that way but I really was disturbed by some of the stuff I read. I don't have many readers so may I suggest this to the ones I do have. Let us check that our words reflect our love for Christ and a good attitude toward our husbands, church leaders and other brethren.
I will close on a positive. One honest and humble lady had a number of posts on her journey after being convicted to wear headcovering and how, in submission to her husband she has refrained from that, even while believing it to be right. Such a difficult one for us women, as what is not of faith is sin. Yet I do think her husband's headship is the priority and she will be blessed in her faith to trust his judgement.
BTW my own husband does not believe head covering is commanded and never demanded the girls and I wear them. He does, however, allow me to wear mine as my conscience dictates.
May God grant me much more wisdom in this and every other area!
Ruby, I don't think I've written on the topic of head coverings. I, too, believe that we should cover. I don't believe it was just cultural. I believe that at the very least during corporate worship we should cover. How3ever, my dh will have nothing of it. It is not a topic open for discussion. I have talked about it as much as he will listen. And I feel heard. What I said did not change him. And so, I defer to him, as my head. And I think that God is working on that attitude you spoke of in your post; meaning, I have a tendency in some "circles" but mostly at home to display to my dh that I am not really being submissive in action but only in word. God is working on me. If the heart is not submissive, the covering means nothing.
ReplyDeleteFor me it is the greatest battle....
ReplyDeleteBe encouraged and do all as unto the Lord!
Ruby
Hi, I'm one of those bossy women who tell people I'm submissive! LOL. No really, I would like to be more yielded in this area, but I don't blog about all that. But I like to read the blogs that do! Any victory in godliness in my pathetic little self is a true victory!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this post, Ruby. Surfing the internet brings me into contact with people very unlike my friends. Sometimes I'm confronted by their views - I don't know people like that in real life.
ReplyDeleteOther people seem like kindred spirits. I hope one day we will meet in person. I think I would like you very much.
Jeanne
Yes, Jeanne, that would be great! We are probably more likely to meet some day than most we interact with on the net.
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteA lovely post, full of insight. I think you've hit home here: there are many blogs, posts and articles that are 'for' an issue or 'against' an issue but I really believe the Lord looks more toward our heart attitude in how we spread that message and how we interact with others, especially those who we may not agree with.
Blessings,
Ruby: I don't usually read here, found you via Jeanne, but I cover for slightly different reasons while in accordance with scripture. A woman who prophecies or prays in public is to be covered. I do not wish to be offensive & am aware many of the women who normally cover do so from submission to God &/or husband. As a Quaker I have always been free to speak/teach/pray/preach & scripture says such a woman should be covered ~ so I do. I don't know anyone else in RL who covers for any reason, certainly not this one. If God removed the ministry gift I think I would reasses the covering ~ though one must remember the angels. I think there is a deep spiritual significance to the covering that goes much deeper than we usually give credit for. It resonates with imagery of the bridegroom & thus serves as a visual reminder of our position in Christ. Just a thought. ☺ Blessings.
ReplyDeleteHi Ganeida,
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to browse here. Although I seem to remember the post as being a little blurb about lack of submission in some of the attitudes I encountered I do appreciate the thoughts on the matter of women's head covering. Do you cover only in public worship? all the time?
I don't know much at all about the Quakers. While the Corinthians passage speaks of praying and prophesying with a covered head, it later speaks of the women keeping silent in the churches. I understand this to mean that for a time, like tongues, this was acceptable but as the inspired revelation closed (in the book of Revelation) these offices passed away. I understand also that this is not a universally held belief but 1 Cor 13 does say that tongues and prophecies shall cease and reading scripture it does appear that God gradually tapered off these gifts. Then in Revelation we are told not to add one jot or tittle to the book.
Since I take this view on extra biblical revelation I then read the head covering passage in the light of the creation ordinance mentioned.
As to the angels, I believe they are with us in the public worship as scripture speaks of angels surrounding the people of God.
I am no theologian, but I am happy to talk about my beliefs. Email me if you want to share any more. I do not wish to start debates but I enjoy readers comments and interaction. Thanks.