"To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice , and judgement and equity; To give subtlety to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion .Proverbs 1 : 2-4
Our daily morning readings have come around to Genesis again. My sons, who are 10 and 11 years old must have been quite young when last we trod here, though many of the narratives are familiar to them, we have not needed to discuss these passages in depth for a while.
So, last week we came to Genesis 38 and 39, recounting the stories of Judah and Tamar, and Joseph and the wife of Potiphar. And earlier, the defilement of Dinah, chapter 34. I am thinking about God's wisdom, how everything in scripture is given by inspiration of God and profits us. I am thinking how delicate some of the topics raised in Scripture are, yet God has placed these passages there and we are to read and teach our children thoroughly from his Word.
In our modern society, and closer to home, we have to deal with de facto relationships, births out of wedlock, separations and divorces and many other difficult issues. I have always taken the approach to answer honestly questions put to me without elaborating past what the child is actually asking. Still, our natural inclination is to protect them from such immorality. By choice we might not raise them unless they arose in real life, but we know that the scriptures are profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16). We have to teach "thou shalt" and also "thou shalt not " but we must also teach and emulate the spirit of the law along with the letter(training the heart and attitude). I found my daughters much less difficult in some ways. Perhaps it's because I was once a girl myself :o), but raising sons presents many new challenges. Well, just my ramblings brought about by some recent, interesting, conversations. If anyone reading this has thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them.
It reminds me once again, that the heart is desperately wicked and inclined to evil, as per my thoughts last week. It was great to read of Joseph and to use him as a godly example to flee youthful lusts. It is a great and fearful responsibility to train and nuture our children.
May God grant wisdom in teaching and training our children to love his Word and follow him. The verses from Psalm 119 I posted this morning were along the same thoughts.
Hi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteI've had the same (or similar) thoughts while reading through the Bible with my boys... 12, 10, and 7.
Honestly, there were some parts of Leviticus that we skipped over. And I have occasionally substituted a more general word for a specific one I wasn't ready to explain (prostitute, rape, etc.)
But you're right, all of Scripture is profitable. Love how you used Joseph as an example. They don't need to know every anatomical detail of what he was fleeing to know that his was the right response!
Praying for wisdom,
Julie
Great thoughts, Ruby. Thanks for these. My favorite Bible "story" to use in regards to lying is Annania and Saphirria. The couple that agreed together to lie about the sale of their property. God killed them dead on the spot. Makes some kids think.
ReplyDelete