Saturday, May 16, 2009

Early Pics

The photograph at the top of the post is of the original slab cottage
that my Grandfather built and brought his bride to!
Above is the hut with extensions. This hut housed all eleven of the
family until the 1940s when the two eldest went to war.

Grandad, Grandma and aunty heading to town. Notice the
little fellows in the dicky seat!
A rare early photograph taken by a visiting relative and entitled
"Waiting for the bacon and eggs."
My Dad in front.
This is the original building with the "kitchen" a lean-to on the side. Wood stove, earthern floor, and note the shiny milk buckets no doubt scoured for the dairy.
This is the back view of the very top photo and taken on the same day.

3 comments:

  1. So interesting. Must be great to know all about your family like that.

    I would love to trace my family tree but it would be tricky. I am a mixture of races from across the globe - American/German and Scottish on one side and English and Jewish on the other! My parents settled in Australia when I was in my first year of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting heritage!
    Even if the actual documents are hard to trace there has got to be some great oral history there? Do you also know another language? My kids have one non aussie grandparent(Living here) on hubby's side but we unfortunately don't see much of him.
    Aren't families great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby
    I love the kids' clothes. The shorts, braces and hats are terrific! I've worked on a few sheep and cattle stations in South Australia and New South Wales and some of them still had the old kitchen and laundry in a building separate from the house.

    Kylie :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.