Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lord's Day/ Mothers' Day


I've just been reading some posts about the observing of Mothers' Day over on The Puritan Board.


I didn't give it much thought when I posted on Monday about our Mothers' Day, though I did mention that it was over the weekend. This is our position on observing "cultural" celebrations ie. legitimate causes for celebration which are not to do with the worship of God. If they fall on the Lord's Day, whether Mothers' or Fathers' Day or birthdays, we celebrate on the Saturday mostly and occasionally on the Monday. This is to keep the Lords' Day holy, so far as we are able. I don't make a big thing of it if someone phones for a birthday or gives wishes but avoid it where possible . My extended family have accepted this over the years and we just take it for granted. I do appreciate that we have no observance of these days in our public worship services.
This is not a big issue, probably doesn't warrant a post, but perhaps gives some pause for thought if one is trying to sort through what is glorifying to God in this situation.
"I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory I will not give to another......"
Isaiah 42 : 8

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby, Nice to "meet" another aussie homeschool blogger :)

    You need not be concerned about Mother's Day falling on the Sabbath. The Bible says that the Sabbath is the 7th day, Saturday. So you are in the clear :)

    You've got a lovely blog!

    In Christ,

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, too Christine.
    I looked at your blog the other day and see you keep the Torah, so you keep a Saturday Sabbath. We are Resurrection Day, Sabbath Keepers, so we attempt to keep the Lord's Day holy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for clarifying that. I used to hold to the Sunday Sabbath too, but now my understanding of the Gospels is that Jesus rose on a Saturday, at the end of the Sabbath,so resurrection day would in fact be a Saturday. If you are interested you can read this article which explains where my understanding comes from...

    http://col2v8.blogspot.com/2009/04/biblical-truth-or-traditions-of-church.html

    Anyway, may He sanctify us with His Truth, His Word is truth (John 17:17)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will read that but I take early in the morning on the first day of the week to be Sunday morning.
    Much greater and more godly than I have debated this for a long time, so I don't think I will now. I take the view that one day in seven is for our rest and look forward to the eternal sabbath. I also believe we are to keep the sabbath day holy and only perform acts of necessity and mercy, so far as work goes. You may note I adhere to the Westminster Confession as subordinate standard, believing it to summarize the teachings of scripture which is of course my rule of life, faith and practice.
    Blessings!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good O! I would be interested to know what you think if you read the article. I've had a look around your blog and we actually agree on a lot of things! I cover as instructed in 1 Cor.11 too:)

    Blessings,

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good food for thought in the post - thanks.

    As for the Sabbath, we're Sunday too.... am 'fully convinced in my own mind' :o)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.