
I am not really a politically minded body. I like to think I am intelligent (please let me think that!) and can keep up with what's going on in the world but a lot of days I crash into bed at night knowing nothing of world events, or national for that matter, of the day. Since most of the sites I frequent and blogs I read are USA based I probably read more about Barack Obama than I do our own PM, Kevin Rudd. (Yes, I know his name!)
Yesterday I heard two items which tickled me.
Julia Gillard (our deputy PM) makes an all time classic understatement. "It appears from these latest figures that the Stimulation Packages have not had the anticipated effect on our economy."
Duh! $42 billion debt to be carried not only by our tax payers but our children and perhaps their children. INCREDIBLE!!!
Ironically we heard today that the government is considering further Economic Stimulus Packages if they are required.:o(
Later, driving in the car I caught the end of an interview. The radio host was questioning an activist campaigning for six months paid parental leave for either the new mum or dad. She argued that it was vitally important for the child to have one parent care for them in the first six months of life and that the government should fund these families to enable working women and men to stay home after the baby's birth and return to work after six months.
The host questioned whether stay-at-home-mums would also receive six months pay, as they had all the same pressures financially, if not more so since their families work on one income all the time. Ms Campaigner mumbled something about her role only being on behalf of working parents.
The host thanked her and said good night but in signing off to the audience he remarked that it gave some food for thought who was deciding which group is more worthy. Radio hosts are often brash and opinionated but sometimes they hit on a good point.
For non Aussie readers: Australia has an amazing welfare system. One which surely can not be sustained through and after the current economic crisis. Old aged pensions have sadly barely enough to live on, but many other recipients do very well. I must say, we have benefited quite a lot over the years, as low income families with children are catered for well. Applicable to this tidbit though is that the New Baby bonus has risen to $5,000 per child. So unless one is on a very high annual income new parents already get a certain amount. Dependence on the government for survival has been the fruit of this over indulgent welfare system.
"....that if any would not work, neither should he eat."
2 Thessalonians 3:10
Wow! I think we should move to Australia. I can't imagine how well we'd do as a single income family with 10 children! ;) (Here they do their best to *discourage* people from having children).
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, I had no idea that your country also was suffering with leaders who were further destroying the economy with "stimulus packages". I thought that was only an American-made tragedy.
Insane times we live in, huh?
We live in a give me give me world. It's so sad. It's the same here in Canada.
ReplyDeleteJanne,
ReplyDeleteYes in a way large families do well here. The previous government was encouraging at least 3 kids (2 to replace and 1 to increase) realising that our population was aging and declining in size. The general feeling outside christian circles is still pretty much anti family, but I live in a rural area where 4+ children is still common.
Really, the whole economy is "stuffed". Pardon me! Dads should be getting a decent wage which can sustain his family, but often women are moving in on their jobs or part timers and casuals. Many families struggling here.
As I said our slumped economy CANNOT sustain this level of welfare indefinately and now we have a Labor government to boot. They are notoriously bad economic managers. Oh, just what we needed going into recession/ depression!
Aussies are notoriously disinterested in politics!
Ruby
*gets off her soapbox*
So nice to read some Aussie political commentary, and even better when it goes along with my views too :) I couldn't help but wonder why that 42billon was not better spent in the health and education systems of our country which need it most! Yes, we benefitted quite well as a single income family but my HB put it straight into our super. I think most intelligent people would have saved the bonus in some way seeing as it is tough financial times.
ReplyDeleteMy HB is very frustrated with our welfare system. We know a family of 4 children - dad is on the dole, mum gets parenting payments plus all the rest, they live in gov't housing and get rent assistance etc etc etc, and when it all boils down they only get about $70 per week less than we do. (We have 6 kids) HB is so angry that he works hard - often 18hour days or even away for weeks at a time - and pays his taxes which go to support people who simply choose not to work, which is the case with this family.
I know there are many people who need welfare, and I am not knocking them at all, but our welfare system does not encourage people to work.
Also, I agree it was pretty stupid of the gov't to consider another stimulus package when the first one didn't work! Crazy!
(Sorry for going on a bit of a rant, but thanks for the indulgence.)