Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pa! Pa? Is it really you?




Forgive me a little nostalgia trip.

It's holidays and I checked out the TV guide and found "Little House on the Prairie" advertised.

It was first out in the 70s and we had many years of reruns. When I read the books to my children, in my mind Pa looked like Michael Landon and Laura was Melissa Gilbert and so on. The characters were thoroughly embedded in my mind even though the stories on the show deviated a long way from the original books.

So what a shock to turn on the tele today! We only caught about half an hour of what is apparently a three part mini series, but I didn't recognise anyone! The names were the same - Ma and Pa, Mary and Laura, Mr Edwards, even faithful Jack - but the faces just didn't match!

Sigh.......

Could it really be over thirty years since as a young teenager we followed the lives of that American pioneering family? The shows were so different then. My hubby and I often reminisce on Kimber, the White Lion, F Troop, My favourite Martian, Adventure Island, The Banana Splits......... A much more fun and innocent era.

Well, we enjoyed the remake of Little House but please don't remake all our nostalgic shows.

I confess, I am a child of the 60s!

4 comments:

  1. You have an award over on my blog!
    Thanks for being such a sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a child of the 60's too. I won't be watching this new series either. If Pa's not Michael, then he just ain't Pa...

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Yes, we do sing Psalms unaccompanied. The singing in our church is beautiful, I reckon!! (We worship at the RPCA in Geelong. There is a link on my blog if you want to check us out!!)

    I look forward to learning more about you and your family through the pages of your blog.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeanne,
    I am still at my computer so I caught your reply.
    Sadly we have very few good singers (particularly in my family!) but we try to make a joyful noise.
    Thanks for the return visit.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love watching "Little House" too, and I read and reread all the books.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.