Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sister Golden Hair

Twenty-one years ago today, my older daughter was born!
Can the years have flown by so quickly? Like all my babies, she was born with a mop of black hair. Look at her here. Such a sweet cherub. What a blessing this child has been.
Having lost our first baby, it was scary waiting to give birth to No 2, but so exciting when she was born safe and well at 36+ weeks.
Although I was an aunty many times over and had younger siblings, plus worked with littlies I was nervous and uncertain taking her home. Feeding was excruciatingly painful at first, but we soon settled into a long, and happy nursing relationship.
This daughter grew into a typical oldest child. Quick to pick things up, walking, talking early. Once her sister was born she was definitely the leader. She took on responsibility well and became very capable and reliable. She was very relaxed about things like clothing and hair and is still very natural to this day.
Later, she was one of those children who would do anything I asked her to, but was too laid back to notice much that needed to be done for herself. She has her own home now and certainly sees and does everything very nicely. She says it is different when it is your own and I suppose she is right.
One of her lovely traits is that she can talk equally well with the elderly as with her peers. She actually did voluntary work at the nearby Nursing Home as a fifteen year old. Though she found the dementia patients hard going, she handled the old people well. She has always loved children and got on well with them. She worked in child care for some time. As a child around ten, she was the story teller among her little friends. Sometimes we'd be going somewhere with another family and she would be in the back of the van with an enraptured audience of children listening to her tales. She has always been an animal lover, especially dogs and horses.
My number one girl is now a mother herself! How quickly my baby has grown up. She is still loving and capable and is turning out to be a great little mother. She has always been and still is a wonderful blessing bestowed on us by God.
I refer to her as Sister Golden Hair because she has lovely long brown hair which has unusual golden blond to reddish natural streaks. The song Sister Golden Hair Surprise runs through my head often when I see it shining. I never knew all of the words but I would tell her, "I keep on thinkin' 'bout you, sister golden hair surprise. And I just can't live without you, can't you see it in my eyes?"
This daughter has had her share of difficult times. As parents we try to give our children Roots and Wings. Roots that grow down deep, like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that keep them grounded and strong. Roots we pray that are firmly planted in the things of God. And wings, to spread out and reach for dreams and goals beyond anything which we ourselves ever aspired to or imagined.

The teacher delights in the students achievements. The parents joy in the growth and maturity of their children. May it please God to call this covenant child to himself and bless her.
Today we have enjoyed a lovely family lunch out with Grandparents, an aunty, the babies! A great day with many happy memories to add to 21 years already stored away!

Happy Birthday, Sister Golden Hair!!

Edit 7~4~2010.
This beautiful and capable daughter is now the mother of two precious sons and step mother to one little girl. As she said to me recently, "I've got a big grown up life now, Mum."
Thank you Lord for her. Bless her and keep her and her family and may she remember her Creator in the days of her youth.

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet post about your special girl. It is amazing how quickly the years fly by, isn't it? And now you get to be a grandma! How lovely. I'm looking forward to that day . . . maybe a few years' off, but I hear that the grandma/grandchild relationship is uniquely wonderful. Congratulations to you on your 21-year-old "baby." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your special child. I'm trying to figure out where your blitz post is, since you linked up. I think if you make a separate post with your blitzing activities and then copy the address of the exact link, we could all clap and celebrate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great testimony - to see your children grow up and live in such a way that you are proud of them :0)

    Happy Easter,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruby,
    Such precious memories you have shared about Sister Golden Hair. Please wish her a happy birthday. She sounds very special! ♥

    Have a wonderful and blessed week,
    Love, Jillian ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a joy children are. Happy Birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this precious daughter of yours enjoyed her family lunch yesterday...

    I love your 'roots and wings' principles. Very well put Ruby...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.