"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall see God."
Matthew 5:9
Pastor again taught the quality described in the beatitude, with plenty of food for thought on not seeking peace at any cost, standing firm and uncompromising in the truth etc. Men who are at peace with God can also be at peace with themselves and with the world. Our Old Testament reading was from Jeremiah 29: 1-14, demonstrating the command to live at peace with those around them. We looked at our Lord, the Prince of Peace who in fact brought a sword.
Many aspects brought up here and all worthy of deeper thought but I found this most helpful for me to take away. The New Testament Reading was Philemon and this gives us a frame work for peacemaking - mediation.
Philemon v 8 & 9: "Wherefore, though I might be much bold in Christ to enjoin thee that which is convenient. Yet for loves sake I rather beseech thee, being such an one as Paul the aged and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ." Paul does not stand on his authority but encourages them in love rather than pressing their duty.
Philemon v 14: " But without thy mind would I do nothing, that thy benefits should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly." He gains consent of the warring parties.
Philemon v 18: "If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account." There is a cost involved in being a mediator. In this case Paul offers to bare any debt which is owed.We should not meddle unnecessarily but be prepared to put on our own account the cost of reparation when possible .
Sadly, not all conflicts I have been involved in have been biblically resolved and this leaves a scar, even after years have passed. Sometimes now, as a more mature christian I find myself in a situation where I am trying to smooth the ripples between sisters (mainly). These points from Philemon are useful to keep in mind in situations like this. Often we insist upon the duty required of us instead of making a more heartfelt appeal. Or perhaps we stay out of it, not prepared to count the cost.
As we become older and, Lord willing wiser, I think we see more and more how often strife between the brethren is not over foundational issues of doctrine and practice, so much as petty grievances and dare I say jealously and pride. If we put aside all malice and hatred as directed by Peter and desire the pure milk of the Word because of the goodness God has bestowed on us, we can enjoy fellowship and peace within the church.
It is so imperative to know God's Word and the principles set down for us as shown here, in all the situations which we encounter in our earthly walk.
"For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile. Let him eschew evil, and do good: let him seek peace, and ensue it." 1 Peter 3: 10,11
No comments:
Post a Comment
Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.