Friday, January 9, 2009

Grandma's Wisdom

Almost 70 years ago my grandmother wrote this verse in her daughter's (my mother)
autograph book. From a child the wisdom of these words has stayed with me.

Keep watch on your words my loved one,
For words are wonderful things.
They can bless like the warm glad sunshine,
And brighten a lonely life.
They can cut in the strife of anger,
Like an open two-edged knife.
Keep them back if they are cold and cruel,
Under bar and lock and seal,
The wounds they make are very deep,
And very slow to heal.......

.

4 comments:

  1. Ruby,
    That was lovely! Thanks for sharing that!

    What ever happened to autograph books?! Or, do you perchance still have those on your side of the world?

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did buy autograph books for my older girls in their early teens but they weren't a big hit. Seems there just aren't too many pearls of wisdom these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been repeating this to myself all day, in hopes of memorizing it. It is very wise advice indeed, if one can learn to keep it. ("in her tongue is the law of kindness") Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have known that verse by heart since I was a little girl and I'm surprised how often it comes back to me.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.