Monday, January 26, 2009

Advance Australia Fair

On most Australia Days, January 26, since I've had children at least, we have gotten up early and joined the masses, queuing for free breakfast and enjoying the traditional festivities. My sore foot has put a dampener on that but we'll try to make it an Aussie day anyway.

Bethany W. has commented on a couple of words like "chook" in my posts.
Australians have a very colourful and sometimes strange slang language. Some is a bit like Cockney, rhyming slang, (trouble and stife - wife, billy lids - kids, frog and toad - road). Some are just words like chooks, sheilas, togs, bickies - either shortenings, or absolutely nothing to do with the original word!

Almost every Aussie has a nick name. "Blokes" especially will shorten every longish first name and if you happen to have a short first name will probably find something longer for you. We seem to pretty much understand each other, but no doubt it can be confusing to overseas visitors. We also have that distinctive, flat accent. Aussies traveling OS can always hear one another on crowded buses etc!!!! My own voice is , disappointingly, very toneless and flat and if possible my singing voice is worse. We do however, pick up other accents very easily because of it.

However, I love poetry, the psalms especially, and favour the King James Version of the Bible.
I love the eloquent flow of language. Many people find the language of the KJV difficult yet I have noticed that many children brought up on it have a better level of English than the average school child. I remember the preschooler who astonished the teacher by saying someone slew some one!!

( I have always been fascinated by the development of our language, hopeless though when I've tried to learn a little French, Italian and Spanish. I do find the etymology of words interesting, and enjoy crosswords and other word puzzles.)

But today these blokes and sheilas might grab a pie or fire up the barbie. Maybe organise a dunny race or make a hundred in the back yard at mums or go waltzing Matilda. We'll put on our akubras and RM Williams jeans and boots and have a real shindig. The norms will have a few tinnies while they watch the 20/20 or the Aussie open and look forward to the start of the footy.

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Give me a home among the gum trees.....


Australia - there's no place like home!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.