.
Michael Daniel and Honoria (Annie) are my father's paternal grandparents.This photograph was taken at the time of their marriage in 1887. The couple immigrated from Tipperary, Ireland to Australia in 1888,with their baby daughter,
After landing in Sydney, they moved and settled in Brisbane.
My Grandfather (also Michael) was born in Brisbane in 1889. He is the handsome young man on the right in the family photo!(Sorry that some of the faces are lost in this almost 100 year old photo)This photograph of Michael and Annie was taken in 1911 with all nine children.
The following year, my Grandad drew the block of land in the Callide Valley,which became my family home. I have written about it here.
At the time this picture was taken he would already have been working in the area.
Then in 1915 he and the other brother at back enlisted and fought in France.
In 2002, when I was working on my Family History Albums,Michael and Annie's descendants numbered 270.Quite a few have been born in the last generation since then,
including my own parent's 21 great grandchildren! (3 expected this year!)
I love Family History, but have had to put my research on hold in the last few years.
This is a pass time I hope to return to .......Maybe post home schooling!


My fathers ancestors came to Australia from Germany in the 1850's (to escape religious persecution ) - it must have been so tough to leave their home to move to a place they knew nothing about and start from scratch - they even had to build their own village in the Barossa Valley in South Australia and start farming so they could survive. I admire their determination and strength it made them tough and able to cope with all sorts of things. Looking at ones own history is fascinating.
ReplyDeleteI admire the courage and hard work of those ancestors without all our modern conveniences and medicine.
ReplyDeleteJo,
ReplyDeletethat is a fascinating part of Aussie history to be associated with!
Carol,
Yes, there is no doubt that I descend from some very hardy stock.
Thank you Jo for sharing more of your history/ancestory. I read the post also, you had linked to, to help piece it all together...
ReplyDeleteThese folks who pioneered the land were certainly made of grit, tenancity and fortitude! Today's conveniences have certainly made for a much 'softer' breed. You only need to hear the many complaints of working a 37 hour week (many in airconditioned comfort!) to realise that lol.
What a blessing to still live in the 'home' region, so steeped in your heritage. And now your children, and their children are set for the same privilege.
ooops sorry Ruby! I should have said Ruby lol, not Jo... I did know whose blog I was at ;)
ReplyDelete