Monday, May 17, 2010

Humble Servants

"The pastor ought to have two voices: one, for gathering the sheep; and another, for warding off and driving away wolves and thieves. The Scripture supplies him with the means of doing both." — John Calvin


I read this recently at a blog I was visiting and Calvin's quote came back to me as I was pondering the role of the Pastor (Teaching Elder) in our congregations. I have previously discussed the Pastor here. In that post I was pondering what our responsibilities are toward him and about the great stresses and pitfalls which men who are called into the ministry encounter.

Just now I am thinking about the Minister and his position in relation to his congregation. He is an elder, but one by reason of his calling by God to preach the gospel . He has authority and great responsibility in expounding God's precious Word to the people. This is the voice Calvin referred to as gathering the sheep, He teaches, exhorts and Lord willing unites the flock.
In his preaching and teaching he also has the difficult task of admonishing and warning the people. Driving away false teachers and those who would draw the people into false doctrines and practices. Again, it is a reminder to me to constantly pray for the Pastor, his labour in the Word of God, his family and that Satan would not get a foot hold. It seems that this is the devil's delight ~ to strike the (under) Shepards and scatter the sheep.

Someone said to me that the Pastor is to be held in respect. I do believe and seek to do this as his office requires. I do think however that a minister can become haughty. Most of us who have been in the Church for many years will have seen men who have become so proud of their knowledge/ gifts etc that they loose touch with the people to some extent. Some times he goes off on a tangent on some doctrinal issue and maybe leads away a group of followers who have slavishly listened or causes members to leave the assembly because of his domineering tyranny. Often when splits in churches occur they are not even over an issue of doctrinal conscience but rather personality clashes. Unity is lost.

While we are all responsible to search the scriptures and test the teaching we receive, we should all be willing and teachable when we have been heading down a wrong path. We make the minister's job so much more difficult when we are dull of hearing and hard of heart. But we must also be wise as serpents, alert to false teaching and "hobby horses" being pushed. This means reading, praying, meditating constantly on the Scriptures.

I have been thinking of the Lord Jesus, our perfect example both in Christian life and for the ministry. Yes, he spoke boldly and always the truth. Not everyone listened or received his perfect teaching.
But he was also meek and lowly in heart. He was despised and rejected but he answered not again. He was a humble servant. He washed the feet of the saints. This is a picture to think upon and treasure. The good shepherd who would leave the ninety nine safe and go looking for one lost sheep.

I trust you appreciate and pray for your Pastor. May the congregation of the Lord's people be blessed by Godly servants, humble in their high calling to proclaim the Gospel. And with eager "Bereans" in the pews who gladly receive the Word and live it.
God help us.

1 Timothy 3
1This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

7 comments:

  1. I always love reading how Jesus responded to the varied situations detailed in the 4 gospels. I loved how He knew the motives of the Pharisees heart, when they asked certain questions... and how He managed to always leave them speechless, unable to answer but only angry at being caught in their own net.

    I also love that He was passionate about His people. Enough so, that in righteous anger, He turned the tables over in the temple... when profit and money became the driving force behind the sacrifices being sold.

    I believe there would be so many tables He would upturn, should He physically walk into the bulk of churches today. Not every church, but many of them.

    So many people must have blinders on when they read the Word these days... or they have lost their ears to hear.

    Thank you for this post Ruby... I was encouraged by your thoughts. Yes, the responsibility of a Pastor is huge. It is wonderful that whom God calls, He equips... the 'true' shepherds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I first really read Jer 23. It was a frightening realisation of how accountable the shepherds are to God, and also a sad revelation of prophecy .. scattering will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been hard to ask for help and advice from my pastor, but how else can he shepherd me if I don't tell him what my struggles are?

    Yes, I also need to pray daily for him and his family. Thanks for the reminder, Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What jumped out at me from your post today was the words He is an elder, but one by reason of his calling by God to preach the gospel.

    Yes, the pastor is "just" one of the elders whose job is to preach the Word. Because he is the more visible/audible of the elders he can sometimes be burdened with too many expectations or jobs. A pastor is often expected to be not just the teacher but also the leader, decision-maker, peace-maker, innovator, counselor and head prayer warrior, as well as a physical worker. No wonder so many pastors get 'burnt out'.

    Jesus knew how to delegate responsibility. I think the pastor of our church does too. Thanks for the reminder to pray for him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruby: I have shared with you before that I know something of this from personal experience. Everyone who preaches the truth is in desperate need of every prayer they can get. Satan hates the truth & will do everything he can to prevent the truth from being preached. If it is not preached how can the people hear & if they do not hear how can they obey? Those who preach need to be given the time & space to study the word & hear from God what He would have them say to His people. I am passionate about this issue. I have seen churches destroyed for want of the preaching of the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your replies to this post.
    You know what is very heartening? That just when one becomes a little doubting and fearful what will happen to the Church, I am reminded that there are many who have not bowed the knee to Baal and seek first the kingdom of Godand his righteousness.
    He has his faithful and humble people, both in the pulpit and the pew. All praise to our great God! He does all things well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby: I was very encouraged in Isaiah this week. I was reminded that God always calls & saves a remnant. He never totally anhiliates. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.