Monday, May 10, 2010

Choices and Consequences

As we began a series from the Book of Ruth yesterday morning, Pastor pointed out the choices and consequences made by the characters in Ruth chapter 1.
The choice of Elimelech, unbelieving and unwise. A choice which let to disastrous consequences for himself and his family.
The choice of Naomi, hopeful but doubting. She chose what was right and good for herself but lacked trust to bring her daughters-in-law with her.
The choice of Ruth. The choice made in faith!

And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee:

for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge:

thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God. Ruth 1:16

The Book of Ruth is the story of the redemption of one family. But greater still it points to the redemption found in Christ. Our own choices always have consequences either for good or evil. I look back over my life and know that many choices have been made in unbelief, doubt, fear and lack of wisdom.

Oh to be like Ruth. To choose to cleave only to the Lord and his people and to choose that good and right path. What great consequences came about from her faithful life.

"For this God is our God for ever and ever, He will be our guide even unto death."

Psalm 48:14

6 comments:

  1. Yes, what a gain in choosing the Lord! The director of a ministry I used to work for called the book of Ruth "bright and aromatic."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But as for me and my house, we will choose the Lord." Joshua 24:15 My husband bought this verse on a framed picture when we were dating. He hangs in our home now as a reminder.

    God bless and keep you, Ruby, as you go for eye surgery.

    Love and prayers,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story about Ruth and Naomi... it is so beautiful...

    I loved how Ruth would not leave her mother-in-law. So much to learn from that gem alone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful reflections, sister. Thank you for sharing. I love your sincere faith for the Lord Jesus and His people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh to be like Ruth... indeed! To choose the right path, to walk in faith. Thank you for this beautiful reminder. I am very challenged and encouraged!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.