.
It was the best of years, it was the worst of years...
It was 2009, the year I started blogging.
Well, today marks a year since I first began to blog regularly. I had opened a blog in June of 2008 so I could comment at other places where I used to read and have a profile. There was one sketchy post later in the year and then nothing. .
My first commenter was Rev Blackwood, an Australian Presbyterian minister who had seen my comment on a Psalm singing post else where. Then, in December/ January Bethany from Grace in Bloom responded to one of my comments and encouraged me to start posting occasionally. (Bethany now blogs at Covered by His Hand) On 5 January I began by writing about my parents. I figured I could only write about stuff I knew about and where better to begin. And the rest, as they say, is history.......
.
Bethany was my lone faithful commenter for a while and then a couple of ladies began to comment back from my comments (as you do in bloggy land, it's cyber conversation). Then in March I got involved with a blog party hosted by 5 minutes for Mom. Now, I won't be doing that again. It was VERY time consuming! But I read and started following a number of great blogs and a few of the visitors I received have been commenting here ever since. Thank you ladies!
My first official follower was La Donna from Just Our Thoughts. A busy Canadian Mum whose blog I still enjoy to read. Thanks for that vote of confidence, La Donna. I try not to take a lot of notice of statistics and followers etc but I admit to encouraging a couple of friends to join my followers :-) I have had a number of people follow and then remove their support. Not sure what that means but I don't read too much into it. I see today that I have 24 public followers, I have posted 299 times, recorded 990 profile views and 4.830 visits to Mumma's Place.
I think it was around the end of March that I came across the Aussie Homeschool Site and joined the Aussie Homeschool Bloggers. This opened up a whole smorgasbord of interesting, inspiring, encouraging blogs and many new internet friendships. I am very blessed to live in an area where there are heaps of in-the-flesh homeschooling families to meet for activities and "socialization". That is irreplaceable. But this little community is very special and I really have loved being a part of this circle of bloggers. Big hug and thankds to the Aussie Homeschool Bloggers♥♥
My other favourite blogs are mostly like minded Christians and friends I have made through participation on the Puritan Board and other Reformed sites. I also enjoy a couple of sites/ blogs of folk who post biblical and theological quotes and articles. I sometimes link to Tony Reinke at Miscellanies, and enjoy Andrew Myers great quotes at Virginia is for Huguenots. I have been blessed and thrilled to join the wonderful girls at "keeping house" as an author. And on and on and on.
Hey, if you read here and haven't left a comment please do so. If you comment here and I have been slack and haven't added you to the links in the side bar, let me know and I will.
My favourite posts to write have definitely been My Golden Childhood ones! I wrote them while also writing some material for a real life Family Book. They made me appreciate a happy, stable Aussie childhood in the 60s. I still hope to write about my later childhood years one day.
My post which received the most traffic and comments? My mother's 80th birthday which had a photograph that readers tried to guess which sister was me!! And I think the surprising second was my first recipe ! Salmon Casserole! So much for all my deep ponerings, eh?
I have been thrilled to be the recipient of a number of Awards and even a couple of prizes. All sweet bonuses to this entertaining and enlightening little pass time!
I certainly plan to continue blogging, and frankly, I don't want to miss reading any of the great blogs I visit. But, as we all acknowledge, it is time consuming. So again, I am considering my schedule and trying to be moderate in all things. Perhaps I will post a little less, read God's Word a little more, be of more edification to others.
To conclude, I shall link to that first post in '09 "Aging Parents". My dear parents have aged a lot in that one year. They are very precious and dear to me. I still think relationships are what makes life go round and I have shared a lot about my own relationships as well as building lots of new ones this year.
Turns out there wasn't too much in the worst category t0 document any way. Thankyou Lord.
Happy blogging for 2010!
Congratulations on your wonderful year of blogging and your discovery of us blogging friends. I am sending you an award. Please post it. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteCarol
Happy Blog Anniversary sweet Ruby :)
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your thoughtful and encouraging way of posting.
xo,
Jeana
Such fun tidbits of information about your blog. Congratulations on your first year of blogging fun.
ReplyDeleteHey Ruby! Looking forward to many more of your family history posts!
ReplyDeletexxx
I love your new look Ruby, and I hope you'll be blogging into a lot more new years!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite posts are also when you talk about your Golden Childhood. You have been truly fortunate in your family. I'm so glad to have found you. You always brighten my day.
ReplyDeleteI also loved reading about Your Golden childhood posts too!
ReplyDeleteAnd, I'm so glad you found us Aussie HS Bloggers too!
Congratulations on your first year blogging! I do like your Golden Childhood posts, but my favorites have been about your expirences having your children on your Ruby's Jewelry Box site.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on a year of blogging. I have been blessed to get to know you!
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteHappy blogaversary to you, my friend. I enjoy reading your wonderfully encouraging and thought provoking posts. :)
I'm so glad that you joined Aussie Homeschool bloggers, for it was there that I found you and your friendship. ♥
Have a wonderful week,
Blessings,
Jillian
Hi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteFor your friendship, encouragement and ability to provoke me into looking inwards at myself to see what Jesus sees, I have an award waiting for you on my blog. :)
Blessings,
Jillian
Ruby,
ReplyDeleteI used to be such a faithful commenter... now I am too busy. I am sorry that I do not comment more. I feel fortunate just to have a few minutes to read your blog... much less comment on it!
Bethany
Thank you all my sweet and thoughtful readers! When I began to blog I had no thoughts of how it would work out. I didn't imagine a whole new circle of friends.It has been great.
ReplyDeleteThat's okay Bethany, you have 5 very special reasons why you are not on the blog circuit and they are far more important! I did want you to know how much I appreciated your early encouragement.
I so enjoyed reading this post sweet Ruby. You are such an encouragement to so many of us. Congratulations on your anniversary, and I look forward to many more to come. I value your friendship, wisdom, knowledge and your example of Godly living very much. Besides all that you have a fun sense of humour!!
ReplyDelete