Monday, November 22, 2010

The Saints in My Pocket

Recently, it was commented to me that my church family live in one another's pockets, spend too much time together etc. etc. This troubled me a little as it just didn't sit right with me. Most of us struggle to maintain both fellowship and charity and feel we are often isolated.  We do not want to become "Sunday" Christians with a cheery facade and shallow talk on the Lord's day and a self absorbed life the rest of the week.
One of the "pitfalls" I have seen with  some families is a tendency to not only teach the children at home, but to become insular and totally home focused to the exclusion of our other relationships in life.
Don't read me wrongly here, I strongly agree that our husband, children, home come first but there is a place for our wider circle.
How would one cope in the New Testament church where they had all things in common? I think our lives have become very selfish and man centred rather than God centred. People rightly protect their privacy but to the exclusion of the needy, the lonely, the hurting, sacrificing their own growth in the meantime. Breaking the bruised reed and quenching the smoking flax.

I was visited by two dear elderly saints last week. (You might remember them from here.) They were returning from an appointment and it was quite a huge effort to climb our stairs and make that visit. Once again they reiterated the great blessing that the brethren have been to them in these difficult days of sickness , pain and inability. The folk have faithfully visited and assisted for quite a few years now. Their own many years of service to others is being repaid many fold.

The same critic told me that people these days are stubborn and hard hearted and do not receive correction. Hmmm...no doubt this is true. Our hearts are hard but I see a correlation here. Being receptive and teachable  involves relationship. A closeness to God and to people. Faithful are the wounds of a friend. One who is unwilling to enter into the unique covenant relationship which Christians in fellowship share,  cannot expect to be embraced and listened to in the same way.

Our families and lives are private. but we should be living in a way which is open to scrutiny. Again, this person, though so critical  of others, makes their own home  like a no-go zone to others ~ hiding what?
We are told to be keepers of our own homes, not to run from house to house, not to be gossips. On the other hand we are to bear one another's burdens, help the sick, the widow and the orphan, encourage the downcast. It is natural to spend time with the ones we are closest to and get along with best, but we are responsible to include the less comely ones. The body (of Christ) aches when one part is severed.
It is not only heresy and liberalism which is tearing the Body apart but apathy and a neglect of this great biblical principle ~ we are united in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!
Hospitality is a requirement! Office bearer particularly are to be given to hospitality and it is a mark of the Proverbs 31 home to open ones arms to the poor and needy.

Friends, we all live shallow and sin laden lives when held up to the scrutiny of the Word. Forgive me if I sound jaded on this. I am very conscious of my own failings to love and support others, to  put God first and foremost and the work of the kingdom above what profits me. In New Testament time the people marvelled. See how they (Christians) love one another! Can this be said of us? We are to bear one another's burdens. We are to encourage and admonish one another. We are to walk along side as per Titus 2, both men and women. To show the scriptures more clearly as did Aquila and Priscilla. To lay down our lives if required!

John 13
34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.


Lord, grant me a heart to serve you and your people. To love the brethren and reach out to the needy. Forgive me also for an impatient and critical attitude and help me to be kind to those whose views differ.
Thank you, Lord, that my pockets are full! Good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over!

16 comments:

  1. "They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

    Acts 2: 42-47

    Acts 2 on the fellowship of the early Christian church says it all, Ruby, doesn't it? And look at the result - the Lord addes to their number daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! No splitting the P's there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a hard balance to maintain. We have been in need ~ & no help was forthcoming from the body yet we had given years of service. Hard not to be cynical ~ & I'm good at cynical. ☺ We have had issues with Christians not discipling their children & choosing to remove ours from their company.

    This is why it is so important to live by the Spirit & listen to his leadings. Thus we know when we are to reach out & when we are to keep our own counsel, how to love in non damaging ways, how to aid but not enable bad behaviours. I withdrew from some fellowship as they were an excuse for gossip & I have issues with outreach to the wider community when the body itself is in need, yet neglected.

    I think you have raised an important issue. We are to walk a godly path but it is not always easy discerning the path. Blessings on your week, Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ganeida, you raise good points there and I do not judge individuals and families for choices they have to make.
    My concerns are with knowledge of the people involved AND of the godly and very loving people being critized.
    Not all concern is gossip though some turn it into that, and we should not throw the baby out with the bathwater and reject all charitable deeds on the basis that some abuse that.

    Some added thoughts:
    Ganeida, I am very sorry that you have experienced such a lack of christian fellowship and love. It makes me appreciate that I have been placed in an assembly of godly people who have loved, corrected and supported me through very difficult trials and circumstances over a long period of time.
    I agree that outreach is pointless if this foundational relationship is not happening. However, this post was about people in fellowship together and not outsiders to the body of Christ.
    We have just read Romans 12 here. A beautiful passage on this very thing!
    Of course I believe we are led by the Spirit but I do not believe that the Spirit leads us contrary to his Word. While we are told to come out from among the ungodly we are also admonished to love the brethren.
    God bless xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Ruby. Just last night I was kind of thinking about things like this and the word 'distraction' came to mind. I believe that we allow ourselves to be distracted from the soaking in the word and living it. Just like the Israelites did when Moses went missing for days!! They too allowed themselves to be distracted with the things of the world rather than keeping their focus where it should be. Hmm, I tend to have weird thoughts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little church has that rich fellowship and we are so blessed. One young couple helped with a garage sale and another man who knows computers is fixing my real computer. (This is another one.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed some revival and renewal in what I believe about ministering to the saints, thank you for the passionate post.

    My husband and I have often talked about how the Lord doesn't ask us to list our tasks in order of priority, He just tells us what to do and wants us to obey all the commands without shirking another. We are to love and serve our families, yes, but also the saints and the sinners. We can't focus on one and ignore the other.

    Beautiful reminders, thank you for sharing from your heart and life, cuz somehow I get the feeling you practice what you preach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A work in progress like everyone else, Mindy. Hope you are taking good care of yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen Ruby!

    When we read about the early church of the NT, we see how they all gave up their belongs in the respect that no one went without, while another had plenty. They pooled their 'resources'. This is one example of the NT that we try to mimic in our church.

    I long to see a body of believers functioning as the early church did. It can happen if people truly desire that. In our Body here, if one needs a home to live in, someone who has the room will open up their home for that person to live in. If someone needs food, we all help out (not that this is a common situation).

    We all need to get back to the original plan and pattern I believe... not "this is mine" and "that's yours" type thinking, but that all that we have belongs to Him and comes from Him.

    We are actually responsible for one another, to give to others, as He so freely gives to us.

    I enjoyed your post, thank you dear friend :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh!! Just saw Jeanne's comment! Yes, yes, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruby,

    You always write posts that truly prick my heart, but this is a good thing, for my heart needs a good "pricking" every now and then.

    Showing compassion to others who are not within our "circle of friends" is difficult for all Christians (that includes me). Your post has given me much to think about in regards to this matter.

    Blessings,

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehee, Acts 2: 42 - 47 is exactly what came to my mind too. I was reading this chapter in the car a few weeks ago so it has been the topic of conversation amongst our family.

    I agree with what you said about hospitality. I see a lot of 'hospitality' happening but it is more of an entertainment type of hospitality- the one where people get to display their fine home and belonging. This isn't *true* hospitality, is it? Our motive, our attitude has a lot to do with it too.

    Food for thought... fodder for action, Ruby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, great point and a topic worthy of its own post!
    I love the kind of "hospitality" (when speaking of those within the church") where lots of discussion and reasoning takes place.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. Our biological families do not live nearby so I am very grateful for our church family. And I do feel that we are family. I know there is a lot more we could be doing but I also know there are people I could call up who would help me in any time of need. I see other friends who have troubles and they either have no church or a church which is not there for them and it is very sad. And this also is one of our best witnesses to those outside the church--they will know we are Christ's followers by our love for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What good words, Ruby!

    As homeschoolers it can be all too easy to be kind of "insulated" at home, especially when bad weather and short daylight sets in. But we are part of a larger body, yes?! I heard someone say that if we neglect the church, we are neglecting the Bride of Christ. Serious words.

    Thanks for the encouragement to treasure my church family,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.