
Is it really mid January, 2010 already?
How the past six weeks have flown. Some new books arrived today. Some of my Aussie bloggy friends are posting their educational plans for the year. The holidays are really drawing to a close.....
Queensland schools officially start back on 27th. I think our little Home School will start off at half pace next week. With our particular quirks and needs I find it a good idea to do a couple of weeks of revision before getting into a full work load. The kids need that. ( and so do I!)
I've figured the major subject areas which will follow on from last year. My older son is high school age and is changing his English program but sticking to Math-U-See. Although we are registered under Groves Christian College, we have a fair amount of lee way with the boys work, since they are both struggling with a learning disability. I wrote about APD last year. I am able to cover the History/ Geography/ Science areas as we are able .
Each year, each term in fact, I make resolutions, but I find that we often get bogged down in the very tedious drill work required to help the boys with reading. Then the fun and more interesting stuff gets put on the back burner.
So..... I need to pour a lot of effort into making the good stuff happen.
Art will continue with our group but in a more art/ crafts setting allowing for play time (read socialization :-) which is a happy Friday activity for all. The Lamb's Book of Art we will continue at home.
The one of my dear sisters who lives closest to me has graciously offered to come on a regular basis to read to the boys. I have been reading a lot of stuff to them over the years to try to keep them abreast with novels, poetry, geography, history and historical figures which kids who read well pick up as general knowledge. Unfortunately I am having some sight problems and so my sister is kindly taking up some slack there. She has been great in the past to play phonics games etc with them as well. Any one who is schooling a child with special needs will appreciate how much a fresh face and a helping hands boosts the day for everyone involved.
We will continue their fortnightly cooking with JJ which they love. Well, they love JJ but they especially love to eat the efforts of their cooking lessons! She and I like the fact that we have that scheduled get together time as well. ( She has a good hill for their skate boards near by, too)
My older son had a difficult time filling in some forms at the bank yesterday. I think the realities of not reading and writing in the big. bad word-oriented world are creeping in on him. I have been trying to introduce as many Life Skills as possible and bank forms etc will definately be on this terms list. Even writing our rather long surname is hard for him to remember let alone the b/d, n/r turn arounds etc.
My Planning for 2010 probably seems a little basic, but that is where we are at in our home.
It is strange how I have had such a wonderful holiday break, even enjoyed a break from blogging very much and the computer in general and now I am so rested and relaxed it is actually hard to find things to write about.
I'm sure I will recover!
Have a good week end.
I have the same issue in not finding ways to let the good stuff happen because I am so bogged down with the main core subject matter. But, I'm not going to give up trying! I'm trying to find ways to incorporate the two. Don't have any spurts of brilliance...yet...
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby, sounds like a good plan to incorporate the fun stuff with the more academic stuff! I always try for this to in my shedule. We have slowly started school, just easing back into it, but I am still putting our term schedule together. xxx
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby!
ReplyDeleteI'm right there with you - in terms of feeling like I really have nothing much to say after such a long break. :)
We have been inundated with relies here, more to arrive Monday, but this time just for 2 nights. Phew!! I am slowly getting my mind in gear for the school year, but I'm not there yet - not by a long shot! This year I will have a high schooler for the first time ( not that it should make much difference to our program) and my second youngest has turned 5 so he'll be starting a few phonics books. Add to the mix 3 others in primary, and a VERY ACTIVE 2 year old....do I sound stressed yet?!! LOL.
Well, gee, I seem to have found some words after all! Have a great week as you start back. LOve to you, Mel x
I struggle with the same thing... the fun (and interesting!) stuff gets crowded out by the mundane, necessary, drill stuff.
ReplyDeleteAck.
Working on it.
Julie
It sounds as though fitting in the extra stuff is a common problem. It sure is at my house. Housework, meals, and basic, core lessons are top priority, and many times, are the only things done.
ReplyDeleteYou are very creative and I am sure you will come up with fun extras suited to the boys after the basics are covered.
ReplyDeleteUmmmmm. Can they make a chart for how long certain activities take and see if they can beat their score so they have time for something else? Since life skills are important, can they career shadow someone in a career that interests each and then write about it? This will include writing a business letter. Can the boys practice fractions and measurement with cooking or constructing something? You know your guys, Ruby, and what might motivate them to get the basics over and practice skills with the extras.
Carol
Good morning!
ReplyDeleteThank you for all of your encouraging comments. We had a short but good start this morning.
All of you who are also teaching your precius children at home...may God bless and give stregth and wisdom for the year ahead.
I try to keep in mind that housework, meals, hospitality and charity are all character learning opportunities. Academics is secondary.
Melanie, You have a BIG load this year. One day at a time. xo
Argh, Mel, I think I need a holiday after reading that!!
ReplyDelete