Monday, September 14, 2009

Thy Will be Done


Thy kingdom come, thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Matthew 6:10



In Hebrews 13: 20, 21 we are told, " Now the God of peace,............. Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen"


This reminds me of when we were beginning the studies in Matthew 5, the Beatitudes, how Pastor pointed out that they are more than good attitudes. They are not something we can do to be godly, but rather by the grace of God working in his new creatures we are enabled ... to mourn, hunger and thirst after righteousness etc.

Likewise, contrary to our natural inclination, God works in his children that which is pleasing to him, and every good work we do. For we are his workmanship created in Christ Jesus.
When we think of the angels in heaven, hastening to do the will of God, we realise how often we are slow to do that which God requires of us. We are slow also to acknowledge his sovereign hand in all of our daily life. We sometimes say,Thy will be done, but wrestle with the outcome. What a place of glorious peace and harmony heaven will be, when we will no longer question the will of our God and maker.

Thomas Watson on doing God's Will:

"If we would do God's will aright, let us labour for self denial. Unless we deny our own will, we shall never do God's will. His will and ours are like the wind and the tide when they are contrary. He wills one thing, we will another. He calls us to be crucified to the world, by nature we love the world. He calls us to forgive our enemies, by nature we bear malice in our hearts. His will and ours are contrary, and till we can cross our own will, we shall never fulfil His."

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Ruby. I needed to be reminded of this. We are embarking on some new and scary directions in ministry. Submitting to His will, no matter what the outcome is so difficult! Fears and doubts seem to be the norm for me right now. Thanks again for posting. May your day be blessed sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Thy will be done" is never easy, I'm learning to hear it in the simple things right now, like eating the things God made for my body instead of rubbish, and spending wisely with the resources he's given us. I've been challenged that obedience starts with the small things and if I can't even do what he asks of me during my day to day life, how would I be ready for anything bigger that He asks of me!!

    Glad you commented on my blog so I could follow you here. Nice to read your thoughts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruby,
    I'm just beginning to realise that nothing happens without God sanctioning it. Sometimes it's hard to remember that He is in control of everything. :P

    Blessings,
    Jillian
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a timely reminder for me! Thanks Ruby. I really needed this post today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like DarcyLee, I needed to read this just when I did. Another friend also posted about this either last night or this morning (or tomorrow in your case :-) here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great reminder to me also. I appreciate the comments and especially encouraging to know we are all travelling a similar path.
    It is amazing how often when we are reading or thinking of a portion of God's Word, it is confirmed and reinforced from several sources! The words of life, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find one of the hardest things to do is to get to KNOW what His will is for me. Then of course once I find that out doing it is the next hardest. The carnality of man always takes over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes it is hard at times to descern the Lord's will.

    One of the points we looked at was that we cannot know the secret will of God (Decretive) or fight against providence. But that we can obey his precepts (Preceptive will) because he has given us his Holy Word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah ha! Ruby, have you read Richard Wurmbrand's article "Preparing for the Underground Church"? I was just talking to my sister about this very thing (practicing denying my will).

    Growing up, we were always presented that God's will was some great mystery to be divined, a great secret that had to be uncovered for each person. As an adult, I sniff at the idea of such superstition.

    While there will always be a part of God's will that is not revealed to man (because it is not needful), there is so much that is plain and easily read that I could occupy my life's efforts just concentrating on what is made plainly and abundantly clear to me, and still have a long way to go.

    Forgive me for beginning the slide into rant mode. I have been thinking on these things as well, and what a joy to find you here with me in thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't be sorry...I love a good rant!
    I haven't read that book. Do you recommend it?
    I think as we draw closer to our Lord, are more conformed to his image, we will find it less and less difficult to stem our own will. But of course, this can be a long and hard road, eh?
    As I said above, I am fascinated and encouraged when others mention they have been pondering similar ideas or struggling in a same certain area. God is good to give us fellow pilgrim to share our lives with.
    Your family is home now, B.B.
    Will look for a post to hear of your wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruby, it's an article, and you can read it here:

    http://beyondbluestockings.wordpress.com/2008/10/09/preparing-for-the-undergroung-church/


    I absolutely, wholeheartedly recommend it! :D

    I would also recommend reading "Tortured for Christ" by the same author. While I don't agree with all of his theology, his testimony is not easily forgotten!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.