Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thoughts on Steiner


Thanks Jeanne for pointing out that the Steiner system is contrary in philosophy to our Christian World View. I have only had a quick look at a site and realize that now, so I trust my previous post will be taken as a family interest piece and not a promotion of the Steiner schools.

It seems that although they claim to be Christian that they have embraced the festivals of other religions and cultures. They seem to also embrace a very humanist approach to discipline and self esteem. I'm sure I will find many issues if I dig but just wanted to clarify, as I actually had no knowledge of Steiner other than what this nephew had told us. Many of the practical teaching ideas seem very good however.

I have never espoused the system of one educator or another and have not read or researched many big names extensively. Rather my own philosophy has been to teach my children line upon line, to teach them as they sit, stand and walk in the way and to teach them all I can of my Lord and Saviour. Therefore we have used an eclectic approach and tried to balance that with practical skills and general knowledge. Even recently when we enrolled with Groves, I have tried to make our days as delight directed as possible!

Steiner seems to be very child centred . Well, yes, school is child centred, but as christian educators we believe that all of life is to be Christ centred. It has been my observation that many home schoolers also appear to promote and elevate the child. We too can and do allow our humanist environment to creep in unawares. Just a thought to ponder as I seek to live a life more glorifying to God.

9 comments:

  1. This is the paragraph that originally worried me:

    "Then, when studying anthroposophy, Waldorf education, and in teacher training, I began to perceive another more sinister aspect to the whole scenario. Facing the conscious human being on this planet are two primary foes: beautiful evil Lucifer, who tempts us with his garden of wickedness and false promises of divine status, and ugly, hard Ahriman, who pulls at our material and commercial roots with sober glee. We tread this delicate path each moment, and it seems that their influence increases geometrically at major holiday times. We smother our children under a plethora of physical goods! Asthma is rising rapidly in our world and it is not wonder that we cannot breathe freely under the weight of our possessions."

    It is from here:

    http://www.ekernel.co.uk/articles/index.php?arid=32&mode=view&cmsid=3&classid=15&id=articlesdetail&page=

    I'm going to stop now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good points here, Ruby :) My limited knowledge of Steiner includes that they are humanist and rather 'mother earth' in worldview. I always thought of the movement in the 'new age'realm...I had no idea that they identify themselves in any way as Christian! But having said this, when you said this...

    "It seems that although they claim to be Christian that they have embraced the festivals of other religions and cultures."

    ...I can't help but laugh...where do you think christmas and easter come from? :-)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jeanne that quote is dreadful. I have had a big day so haven't had time yet to read up any more. Is Waldorf, Steiner? I thought from the bit I read this morning his name was Rudolf.
    I do not have any illusions that my views will influence my family at all. Twenty years a christian, and outwardly at least the Lord has not used me that way, but I am confident that I will get some discussions going with them. I also am very doubtful that this is the type of information they have been reading/ told.
    Thanks for the link and info. I don't mind the comments at all as I was a little foolish to post when I knew nothing of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine,
    As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ who does not celebrate either Christmas or Easter, in part because of their pagan/ Roman Catholic origins, I can see your amusement at that comment. However, I am also one who esteems many Christian brethren who do not hold these same views. The brief article I read was refering to the fact that children of all religious backgrounds were accepted at the schools and that they studied and participated in various days of celebration held by religions other than Christianity.
    Yes, it is humanistic/ New Age and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm encouraged to hear that you don't celebrate either easter or christmas. Sorry if I seemed to imply that you did :-)
    I understand what you meant now that you've put it in context...I just always find it interesting (and frustrating!) when Christians get upset when other Christians do things that are seemingly pagan in their eyes...when they are ignorant to the fact that so many of the Christian traditions that they indulge in are pagan and counter- Biblical. Not that that's you, Ruby. I just found the comment amusing.

    Getting back to the topic at hand, yes, I reckon that Steiner is one to stay right away from :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruby I thought the pictures of France were beautiful and having no knowledge of any of these things myself found the ensuing discussion very interesting. It's good to be better informed!

    Also, I liked what you said about having something 'delight directed' in each day; I was not careful to do that with Cord and of course it wore him down and made it harder for him to focus on the more difficult things. That seems very sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've hit on some of my dilemma in Miquon Math. I like some of the exploratory aspects, and manipulatives really help boys in my experience, but there's a lot of child-centered philosophy that I haven't thought my way around yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JWithnell,
    that is one of the great things about home schooling, isn't it. To be able to pick and choose from material that has some good stuff and not teach or ignore, or even with older kids use as a jump off for discussion, stuff that is not to our way of thinking.
    I used some very good state school maths books years ago, though most stuff we have used has been from christian publishers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do remember getting a book from the library on Steiner education and after only one chapter there was just something I didn't like about it! It was a while ago but I remember that I never finished the book. I am a firm believer in taking the meat off the bones in everything and there are some very good points to Steiner Education. I love the dolls!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.