Monday, June 1, 2009

On this day





This stunning lady is my maternal grandmother shortly after her marriage.


She was born on this day in 1897, married my grandad in November 1916 and bore six children. My mother the youngest of the four daughters. Grandma died in September 1967 . I was not yet five years old and my memories of her are vague. She was a plump women then, and seemed a little austere to me but she and my grandfather were a very close couple and he mourned her greatly.


My mother's own recollections of her mum are warm and touching. A feminine and talented girl who endured many hardships marrying a pioneering farmer and contract shearer, who spent a good amount of time away from home during shearing time, leaving her to fend for the little family. The devotion and unity of her parents has been one of my mother's lasting memories of her beloved parents.

This is a little of Grandma's Wisdom I posted a few months ago.

4 comments:

  1. As I think I commented once before, you are very lucky to have so much information about your family history. Thanks for sharing it, it's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Grandma died relatively young, but having longivity in the genes has helped a lot. Lots of first hand accounts from the older generation. Yes, I am blessed in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She certainly was a lovely looking young lady, wasn't she.

    She looks a little serious even as a newly wed - perhaps this is what you mistook for austerity all those years later?

    Off to read her wisdom now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jeanne! for a moment I thought you were back, then I looked at the site meter and see you are still OS. Trust you are safe. At least you have internet!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.