The opposite end of extremes to libertine-ism.
"For I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the Scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of Heaven." Matthew 5 : 20
Last week we looked at the tendency to use our liberty in Christ to "go soft" on the clear commands of the scriptures. We looked at the essentials which are of the utmost importance in our faith - loving God and loving our neighbour. But also that we are not to ignore other clear commands of scripture which, though less integral, are none the less necessary.
Yesterday we looked at the "righteousness" of the scribes and pharisees, whose righteousness we must exceed.
In Ezra chapter 7, Ezra of the priestly line, "was a ready scribe of the law of Moses" v6. "For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the Lord, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statues and judgements." These scribes sort, after the exile, to transcribe the Law of Moses and to teach it to the people so they may serve the Lord.
Likewise, the Pharisees, the separated ones, began as men who refused to turn aside to heathen traditions in the time between the testaments, and adhered to the laws and commandments of God. To serve him from a pure heart.
And herein lies the downfall of these Scribes and Pharisees whom Christ so strongly rebuked. They no longer kept the Law of Moses with a true heart submitted to God, longing to serve him but were selfish and self centred. Touching the law, blameless, yet in the sight of God hypocrites.
This gives great pause for thought.
Libertine or Legalist? Where do I fall? Do I use excuses to not do what is required and call this liberty. Or conversely, do I bind heavy burdens on others while my heart is centred on self and far from God?
The challenge for me today is to renew my first love. To endevour to serve the Lord from a pure heart which seeks his glory. To put aside selfish desires and the seeking of the admiration of others and strive only to please my Lord by following that which he has clearly required of me.
Am I trusting in Christ's perfect righteousness and seeking to obey his commandments from a desire to serve and exalt him? All these thoughts challenge any facade we may be using and get to the depths of our heart and how we stand before the Lord.
I am not of an airy, fairy, fluffy, love is all you need gospel. I believe that God is also wise, powerful, holy, just, good and true. Yet I am thinking this evening about our message from 1 John 4 last night. We heard teaching from the first six verses under the title Discerning Christianity. However the reading of the rest of chapter 4 struck me as another love passage. (Thinking of 1 Corinthians 13) The thought of verse 20 could well apply to the Scribes and Pharisees. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? " 1 John 4 : 20
The fearful warning to the Scribes and Pharisees in Matthew 5, and to all who are self righteous and not trusting in Christ's perfect righteous is "ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven" ...............
Back to essentials.
Dear Ruby,
ReplyDeleteThis was a very sobering read for me. As I was pondering what you have written, it occurred to me that it is not an either/or situation. At times/in some areas I can be legalistic and hard hearted, and in other areas/times I can presume upon my liberty.
I have been reading Revelation lately, and find there are few things that put the fear of God into me more than reading Who He is. It really makes me see (in light of my confession above) how men would fall down as one dead in the presence of God.
Yes BB I think you are right. We tend to swing from one to the other extreme. I have been thinking how important it is for my heart to be right before God.
ReplyDelete"The challenge for me today is to renew my first love. To endevour to serve the Lord from a pure heart which seeks his glory. To put aside selfish desires and the seeking of the admiration of others and strive only to please my Lord by following that which he has clearly required of me."
ReplyDeleteAmen. Thankyou for these words, Ruby.
Christine