Saturday, June 6, 2009

Queensland Day!











On 6 June we celebrate Queensland Day.

Today it is 150 years since Queensland became a separate state from NSW. We don't actually have much in the way of celebrations like Australia Day but I thought I would put up some pictures of our beautiful state! And despite the dismal economic announcements of the week Queensland had one great reason to celebrate.... We won the State of Origin!!!!!
(That's Rugby League football for any reading outside Australia) Queensland (Maroons) V New South Wales (Blues) The first in the best of three series. I'm no mad football fan and nor is my husband but we are definitely the minority. Rugby League is BIG up here!!
Above: Coral on The Great Barrier Reef, The Brisbane skyline (capital of Qld), camp drafting, a state map, The Stockman's Hall of Fame in Longreach, CQ

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the history lesson.

    When our friends were here in May, the husband taught us about Australian Rules Football. We had a blast learning new ways to handle the unusually shaped ball.

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my SILs plays Aussie Rules so my boys are getting to like it a bit, but traditionally it has been played further south. Soccer and Rugby Union are also played but Rugby League in definately the most popular in this area. (And I might add the roughest! but I am a sook!)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.