Friday, March 2, 2012

To blog or not to blog?

This seems to be the question.

This week on several blogs the author has wondered whether to continue to blog.  It seems this happens regularly with women who are juggling a lot of things and wonder whether this little pleasure should take a back seat.  Trisha, is just feeling perhaps now is not the time to be blogging, Jeanne at A Peaceful Day, feeling that her followers had dwindled and the effort was not worth it.



In my three plus years of blogging I have  tossed this very question over....often!  In the early days it was the fear of becoming all consumed by blogging, reading other blogs, commenting, gaining followers.  Then when I got that under control, it would be the business of life, the realities of coping with a family, home schooling  etc.  Just when life was hectic and full of exciting potential posts I would find I had not a moment to write them down!  Sometimes I even wonder whether my cyberspace friends in actual fact get more of my time and energy than my real life friends!?

My health and family situations have helped me to get a better focus and balance , I think.  I have built up some good and special relationships over the net and I really want to keep them.  But I no longer blog to get comments but for my own pleasure and record and I suppose, speaking to those friends out there who are interested.  I still love comments.  I would love to have an intelligent, radical blog which stimulated lots of feedback and discussion.....but Mumma's Place is and always was, just a homely little eclectic blog where friends are welcome and every once in a while something earth shaking is written!

I had not been monitoring traffic on my blog for ages when the new Blogger came in.  Now it is much easier to see the numbers and I have to say that on most posts the number of visits is at least double and often more than the number of comments.  I am always surprised but not upset that people have read but not commented. 

Recently,  Susan and Jeanne were discussing blog interaction and Susan made this comment (in part)

"I like forums bcz there are lots of people there... which means lots of opinions. Whereas on my blog, I'll ask a question and usually receive limited responses because the people who pop in and comment do so because they follow my blog - which means they are usually of a similar mind or approach. But with forums I get all different kinds of opinions, based around home education.

I hate that FB has pretty much killed the life of forums because no matter the pro's of fb, it cannot replace the beauty of forums. Ever. It just isn't set up the same way, to handle in depth discussions, etc. KWIM?"


This rang very true to me.  We tend to frequent the blogs which we find hold similar  views and interests eg.  Christianity, homeschooling, a hobby perhaps.  We very often comment in agreement or encouragement, perhaps sharing tips and advice.  We rarely comment if our opinions differ.  I remember making a negative comment about a book once and feeling howled down.  I was sorry to cause that sort of emotion and regretted voicing that opinion.  A persons blog is not the place for that. Now, I don't comment if I do not agree on personal blogs.

As Susan pointed out above, Forums are a different realm.  The person you wish to disagree/ debate/ or advise does not usually own the site.  It is not a personal attack on someones private space.  It is an open arena to test thoughts and ideas and usually moderated so that every one plays nice.

I have joined a couple of Christian Forums over the years and still read regularly on the Puritan Board.  I have come to a point where I almost entirely comment only in the Ladies Tea Parlor there.  Some of the big boys play rough!  But I do read and learn a great deal from the discussions on PB. This can be time consuming as well so I have to watch my self.  I find I keep going over to see the follow up comments . I have also made some really lovely and special friends there with whom I correspond and pray and even play on line Wordscraper with!  Hi Carol, Heidi, who actually also read my blog and  Nancy, Mindy!


Although I have been a member at the Aussie Homeschool Forum for about three years I have only just started to read and comment there regularly.  This in part because of Susan's arm twisting,  persuasion, encouragement.  I think for me this might be a nice balance for use of Internet time.  I blog maybe, once or twice a week, and keep up with my buddies here.  I can meet new people, and have interaction more specifically in the home schooing area on the Forum.

BTW I had written most of this post earlier in the week, even asking Susan permission to quote her.  I added the first paragraph in tonight after reading these ladies thoughts this week.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby :-). Yes you are a very precious friend and example to me. I do value simply being able to keep up with news in a friendship for which I am grateful -- as well as simply being able to witness what the day to day is like of a woman whose faith and sweet spirit has strengthened to and encouraged my heart. And there are those posts that have been a special encouragement :-)

    I do get all the posts in my reader: even when I don't click through to the site, I read them all!

    Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a wonderful example of internet friendship, Heidi. I don't think we would have ever met in IRL but providentially we have touched lives here on earth and one day we will met in the presence of our Lord!

      Delete
  2. I have always blogged firstly for me; ways of shaking the dust & cobwebs off my thoughts. I love comments but am resigned to the fact often people don't know what to say or don't wish to voice a contrary opinion in someone's personal space. I don't want one of those noisy controversial blogs anyway! ☺ I gave forums away just because of the people who won't play nice & FB is useless for any sort of serious discussion about anything. I enjoy my blogging friends & enjoy the fact I now know well people all over the world & have like minded friendships ~ something I have lacked on the island. I consider net friendships just as valid as any other sort of friendship & worth cultivating ~ which means making the time to read, comment & post. That can be hard when we get busy but usually it sorts itself out over time. I've crashed 2 blogs & the only thing that really upset me in the end was that I might lose people I had come to regard as good friends. I still keep in contact with friends who no longer blog by other means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is one blog where I occasionally voice a different opinion because I think you are up for it, Ganeida!
      Also, the blog friends I have met in person, including yourself, become special and I am interested in there lives. I really appreciate your frequent comments here, too.

      Delete
  3. Well said Ruby! I think once we start placing 'expectations' on others we take our eyes off the prize. Sometimes 'life' is just too full to do too much cyber browsing. On a lighter note,I hope you have a wonderful and restful weekend. God Bless! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that word "expectations" Sarah. I've been thinking about it in this context and I think you are spot on. We get entangled in this idea that others should behave in a certain way. With our real life friends we hear when they are sick or having a crisis. We can help out or back off which ever is most beneficial to them. In the blog world we can begin to expect certain behaviours of our friends/ commenters and perhaps become down when they do not respond as we wish but in all likelihood another blogger is just taking a break, involved with family or limiting internet time.
      You have a good weekend as well, Sarah. I hope all your plans are going well with the B&B etc.

      Delete
  4. Ruby,
    I really appreciate your wisdom, friendship and prayers. You are getting soooo good at FB Wordscraper also.
    Love,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention that Carol, as I do think some of the fog is clearing in my head. I was blaming it on meds but nothing has changed so I am not sure why it is!

      Delete
  5. This was timely for me to read. I too have been juggling with the idea of is blogging worth my time. I have extended family that live in other parts of the country and tell me often how much they love keeping up with us. Just today my mother in law mentioned how she is thankful I blog. That said though I just found mobile blogging and I think it will cut my computer time down during the most important times of the day. I can now blog while husband and I are driving somewhere or even when I'm lying in bed at night. I just snap the photo of something and save it until time permits for me to post it and try my best to not take time from my family! I just need to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. I'm really having with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty hip for a mummy of twelve, hey! Good for you. Yours is one of the blogs I find a real pick up as you are very positive and have such an inspiring family!

      Delete
  6. I have written a comment to encourage another Christian blogger to keep blogging. She tells it how it is, speaking the Truth in love but she is put off by certain negative people commenting. Apparently it is the same woman posing as someone else. I have a longing to see Christian bloggers linking and helping each other because I see blogging as extending God's Kingdom. I am going to post about this and invite people to allow me to link them on my blog... there is no place for selfish motives in blogging for Christ. We need encourage each other as the days are evil. Make no mistake, we are in a spiritual battle as the time of the return approaches. So many women living as Christ wants are being silenced by comments and are taking it to heart. Let's unite and encourage each other as the time left to witness for Christ is growing short! Sorry didn't mean to preach... just passionate about this! Blessings, Glenys

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ps sorry typos... meant to say as the time of the LORD'S return approaches. I am tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a wonderful use of the net to spread the gospel and to meet other believers. Often there are differences but I have founs a very special kinship with my sisters around Australia and the world.

      "Apparently it is the same woman posing as someone else." That sounds unkind and unethical. I think people should be honest enough to put their name to a comment or else, refrain from commenting. I am not against the Anonymous option altogether but not to use for hate comments. On the other hand, if we want to publish our thoughts on the world wide web then we need to prepared that others with disagree. I've been blessed with many gracious friends, I am pleased to say.

      Delete
  8. Hi Ruby
    I can identify with so many of the issues you've brought up here... I haven't blogged for many months now. But your post, and Jeanne's, have at least made me realise that if I'm going to read, I should make an effort to comment.
    I like your eclectic and homely blog. It's very welcoming, just like I imagine your home would be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's Rebecca. It is great to see you here! As discussed in Sarah's comment, while it is wonderful to get the feedback we shouldn't be pressured by others expectations. So, comment when able, don't feel obliged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca... The hands are quicker than the eye!

      Delete
  10. Ruby I wish I popped in here more often. I do find i have such little time at the moment . I tend to give it to myself to relax. I tend to blog to share what I'm reflecting and thinking on. Very spasmodically st the moment. It's lovely that I can connect with people like yourself who truly care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking that time Cee! but no, never feel you are obliged. There is just so much one can fit into a day.

      Delete
  11. Ruby, well said!
    I started blogging for me and my dd and try to always stay focused on that goal:) there are temptations at times to veer from my initial goal but I keep reminding myself of it otherwise I'd be discouraged (if I don't get many comments) or feel under pressure to blog when I really don't have the time. Interesting that your link to Jeanne led me to fb and I was able to view the whole page though I wasn't logged into fb....starting to wonder about my privacy there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary...for the comment and the alert. I had assumed that only FB people would be able to go to that page so I might take the link off now.

      Delete
  12. Good thoughts here. I do like to visit forums, too, or I did, before starting to blog. I tended to let the forums take over my life more than the blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruby
    I really appreciated your words here, and I would agree about the affect of fb on forums, having been a member of a forum for 6 years I have seen the effect of fb there, rather sad.
    Pleased to find a fellow Aussie blogger (followed a comment you made at Jeanne's.) off to check out your aussie hs sidebar links:)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.