Wednesday, March 28, 2012

For the Children's Sake

I admit to a major weakness.  My Achilles Heal.  That area in which I am overly soft and smitten and which has proved to be a heart breaker for me over and over.  My obsession, passion, for my children has oft times stood in the way of my objectivity and at times made me a less than effective mother.  I hope that it has also resulted in a strong bond and affection between mother and children, and forgiveness on their part for occasions when I should not have spared the rod.  Fortunately, I don't think I irrevocably spoiled any child.  Can we love them too much?  Yes, if we make an idol of them and put them before our great first love, Christ.

Now, I have a new generation of children to bestow love upon!  Being a grandparent is a wonderful privilege in life.  An opportunity to influence another generation for Lord.  With these children I do  not need to mete out discipline, though I try to remain firm when I care for them.  The Lord has graciously given me the  last fifteen months with four of my six grandchildren living right here with us.  What a challenge and a blessing it has been!

This week my daughter has finalised the mediation concerning her four children and the agreed upon visits with their father.  How difficult this is for her I can only imagine but I know that my own nerves and doubts and fears have battled within me.  I have a new appreciation for families that are seeking to share custody and raise children in divided households.

As my daughter pointed out to me, her responsibility is to do what is best.....for the children.
As always, I will pray for these special little people.  When they are with us I will hold them close and show my love in every possibl way.  I just need to trust that God will protect them and that their father also wants what is best for them.





15And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them.
 16But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
 17Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

9 comments:

  1. Praying along with you ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blended families are not easy but praise God your daughter is doing her best for the children's sake. I know that everyone hurts in these types of situations but oh, if we could only put the children's needs first.

    Bless your daughter, I'll pray for her too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very difficult for all I am sure. I pray that it goes well as dome times it doesn't .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby, I have just been through this with my daughter.. I have found the courts generally to be very fair regarding the childrens' welfare.. Grandchildren are a blessing.. I love having mine stay with me on school holidays. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By going through mediation she has avoided the courts. The "ex" has agreed to her terms and Lord willing this will be a positive for the children. Yes, I love having them here too hence the slight over anxiety for them as we have seen all the unpleasantness and want only the best for the little ones.

      Delete
  5. I hope everything will work out with the new decisions. Mostly that all will be best for the children. You have so much love for them. They are blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruby,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog from Julie's and saying,"hello". Yes, I do have six girls -- and one poor lone boy ;o). My brother is going to a divorce too. He and his wife each share their children half time. I pray your daughter will continue to do and know what is best for her children.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby, your love for kids is amazing and it's something I've seen in you just from the short time I've been following your blog:) I know you are / will be a great blessing to your grand kids ! That's tough about your dd and grand kids. Praying it all Works out well.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.