Like a lot of families on a tight budget, we eat quite a few mince dishes. Mince is no longer cheap, but the ability to stretch a little bit a very long way makes it an economical meat when trying to balance a budget in a hungry household. Tonight as I cooked one of our family favourites, Macaroni Beef, I began to number off the alternatives we like using mince. U.S. readers may know this as ground beef.
Macaroni Beef
Spaghetti Bolognese
Lasagna
Curried Mince
Savoury Mince
Chow Mien Mince
Tacos
Rissoles
Shepherd's Pie
Meat Pie
Obviously some of these are eaten with pasta of some shape or rice or potato.
Please share with me any relatively simple and economical ,
tried and true, mince recipes.
tried and true, mince recipes.


I have a mince stroganoff recipe somewhere that is very nice. I'll see if I can dig it up.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteYou know I don't think I've ever had mince. I don't even think I know what is!
ReplyDeleteI think maybe you call it ground beef over there, going by other recipes I've read. I am sure you have something the same. It is off-cuts ground up like sausage meat but not in skins :-) Low quality mince has a lot of fat but better quality is quite tasty.
DeleteWe like Kye See Mein (I think that's the right spelling) and tomato tango meatballs. Also beef n vegie rice and Bolognese Risotto, come to mind. I'll make some time to post recipes in the next week or so :o)
ReplyDeleteWe LOVE savoury mince on pancakes... yum yum yum! Good topic as I'm trying to keep the grocery budget right down at the moment!
Thanks Mrs B. I will keep an eye out for that post. Tomato tango meatballs sounds good!
Delete