
Some Museum Pieces!
A few of the things mentioned in previous posts which may be of interest...especially if you are.. er.. younger!
A kerosene Fridge similar to ours.
You lit the wick from the kero container in the bottom and fumes went up the flu at the back. It was a delicate procedure though and a smoking fridge not only left black soot all over the kitchen...house... but was a danger of fire.

A treadle Singer sewing machine, such as one Mum used and we girls learned to sew on. Mum kept this up until their recent move to a retirement village and my sister who is our best seamstress claimed ownership.

This is a Mrs Potts iron. It sits on the wood stove to get hot and you attach the handle then away you go.
Heavy work on large, old style clothes.
I just realized we were living in a museum!
One time I was taking the kids to a place called the "Heritage Village" and my younger son commented, "Mum, didn't you used to live at the Heritage village?"
Well it seemed to him we had all the same stuff!
I still can't get over the idea of you writing post on your golden childhood. You and I are pretty much the same age!!! Maybe I should find a few golden things to write about!! I do use cast iron cookware. Does that count??
ReplyDeleteHa!
ReplyDeleteThe Golden is meant to signify glowing, happy, carefree etc. It is not to do with how ancient I am!
I still feel young...very young. But I guess writing some of this stuff down has made me realise that growing up the 60's in country Australia, in a very conservative family, was a little like living in a time capsule!
I feel trly blessed to have had this upbringing.
I adore old, dangerously flammable objects -- it's a good thing for my husband's sake that I have no opportunity to exercise my housekeeping skills with such :-) Your house sounds fascinating.
ReplyDeleteThat's really neat. I love looking at this kind of stuff.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I think you are my wiser clone, dear Ruby!!
ReplyDeleteDid you know they still make treadle sewing machines like this one? Still have lots of gold paint on em too! I learned to sew on one of these...
My dad was an iron collector too. Mum didn't think so much of them - reminded her of her own youth!
We didn't have a kero fridge, though we did have kero heaters and lamps...
I must say Sovereign Hill seems familiar and comfortable to me too...well not the gold mining tents...
I like these golden oldie posts of yours!
Very interesting! I imagine those historic relics are going to be rather valuable one day.
ReplyDeleteMy Grandparents were missionaries in PNG for 33 years. They had one of those kero fridges, and also a kero iron. My Grandma still has her treadle singer sewing machine too.
Glad everyone likes for antiques!
ReplyDeleteHeidi,
You seem such a sensible lady - I see there is another, more daring side to your nature!;0)
Jeanne,
I didn't know they still made the treadlies but I know mum's was still working when she passed it on. Thankfully by my time mum had the 32 volt iron as well, but those Mrs Potts make great door stops!
Mum-me,
There probably are a few things of value, but we are quite sentimental and I don't think the few bits we have will ever be sold!
I have Dad's silver shaving mug which Mum gave him as a wedding gift!
I remember my grandmother's treadmill sewing machine, my mother's and my first machine. I believe cousin has grandma's machine and I gave mom's to a missionary. I recently gave my forty year old machine to a young woman in our church along with sewing lessons. She is trilled to be learning to sew. I acquired a Viking sewing machine and it helped me sew a quilt. Because of all the sentiment attached to my first machine, it was hard to give it us.
ReplyDeleteOh Ruby! I have to laugh. My house is like a museum! I just love to collect old fashioned pieces of equipment. I have a similar sewing machine to the one you have pictured!! I also own an old fashioned mincer that takes pride of place in my kitchen!! Maybe I should start charging admission prices to anyone who wants to come visit?
ReplyDeleteA modern day Essene,
ReplyDeleteI would feel right at home at your place!
Actually, I think a lot of ladies made lovely homely places using the old stuff. Even if it is only for decoration.