Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Bush Wedding

We met with many other family and friends to celebrate the marriage of two young people last Friday. The bride had been a local home schooler and long time friend of my two daughters, her parents also dear friends of ours. It was a gorgeous Winter afternoon. And the setting was a rustic rural one with a lot of local history. Because both bride and groom were born in South Africa they said their vows in Afrikaans and then in English. After the service we enjoyed a pleasant afternoon tea of all types of baked goodies and good company.

Above is the rural scene looking out from the little bush chapel.

Below is the inside of the chapel looking up to the groom and attendants awaiting the arrival of his bride.





This chapel was built by American serviceman stationed here in World War II. It has a rock wall concreted to hip height around the sides and is otherwise open air. The inside roof is just thick, sturdy beams and around the outside are recorded various sporting records and achievements of men stationed here during the war. It is certainly a place of local interest and many memorial services and civil celebrations are performed here as well as less formal weddings.
It was a cool, crisp Winter day and other than the fact that the local abattoir is a little close all was beautiful. Thankfully, the breeze was blowing the right way!

6 comments:

  1. It is indeed a traditional bush chapel - love it!

    I know what you mean about the abattoir - we have a feedlot nearby, and boy, do we know about it when the wind blows from the south!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne,
    Must have crossed you on the Ed Barton thing! I will ask Dad whether the meat works was there before the war. I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely bush chapel. Looks to be a perfect place for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first read the title, since I am from the United States of
    Americamy mind flashed the family Bush, who have had two United States presidents!

    I love reading about Australia, what I call downunder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! New Kid,
    We actually have friends with that surname, too.
    Not in any positions of power though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is my idea of a beautiful wedding! All the youngsters in our church seem to want more and more material things...........wedding venues included! I just don't know how the parents of today afford it. My two eldest daughters had pretty simple weddings but they were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.