
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1
When my children were small , waking during the night, teething or just needing comfort it did not seem too much effort to meet their needs. They were small and unable to care for themselves. They NEEDED me and I got so many wonderful responses in return that it was all worth while. Sometimes the tiredness and commitment was almost overwhelming but I always managed by God's grace. Homeschooling can be a little like that too. But looking back I would not wish to change a moment of it (though a few more hours of sleep may have made me saner!)
Again, serving my elderly parents and loved ones who also are needy, sometimes frightened, frail, is a privilege. One not only joys to help with their burdens but remembers that they have selflessly served you and others all their lives. They so look forward to our visits and respond profusely to the smallest act of kindness shown to them.
Serving others, less incapable, less responsive and less appreciative is a much more challenging thing.
Do any of you sisters struggle with a meek and gentle spirit when it comes to serving those who are selfish and unappreciative? Those who take very much for granted your willingness to be of help?
Recently, when I have not been feeling my usual self, and unable to participate in my usual ways in some things, I was distressed to experience a feeling of resentment rising up in me, which is unfamiliar. I LOVE people and I suppose I am naturally a people pleaser. It is only when one feels unable to serve or participate as usual that you realize how little some really notice or even care, what you might be doing. A simple thank you or we miss you goes such a long way.
Now, having written that down, I can see how selfish and lacking in gracious patience I am being myself. I know one should do all things for the glory of God and not look for recognition.
Teach me O Lord, to be selfless in sevice. Teach me to be content and pleased to serve, regardless of the response I receive. Enable me to accept whatever limitations you place on me. Help me to keep before me the ultimate sacrifice that you made for your people...for me.
I need to take up anew my own own challenge in the side bar:
"What does the Lord require of thee, but to live justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Ah, Ruby. It must be something in the wind, perhaps? A lot of those same thoughts have been blowing about this household the last few days...
ReplyDeleteWe have had a week of drama here, and I have had very little sleep. The awful thing is, I can't help thinking of those illustrations where (I'm sure it was put to me more eloquently than this, but..) you are being squeezed, but only Jesus in coming out.
Well, the last few days I have certainly been "SQUEEZED", but I feel like all the Jesus has been squeezed out, and all that's left is the snappy, cranky, tired woman who had delusions about being a kind, gracious, gentle servant!!
I need to go back and ask Him to deliver me from my sin. *Thank you*, Ruby, for posting just what I needed to read today!
Ah B.B., your description is so apt. I have to ask myself, why is the Jesus coming out.It is when I take my eyes on him that I become again that selfish person I try hard to shake.
ReplyDeleteBut, "When I am weak, then am I strong". Let us endevour to draw close to our Lord, whose Spirit dwells within.
I do hope your dramatic week improves.
That should have been take my eyes off him, of course.
ReplyDeleteOh Ruby, you are so wise. I love learning from you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI struggle so much with 'those who don't help themselves'. I am so intolerant.
I will take up your challenge with you and walk humbly with my God.
Thank you, but you know if I had a lick of wisdom I wouldn't get myself into these little twists!
ReplyDeleteVery very true. Everything you said is so true. I am experiencing just those thoughts this week with some things going on with our family. Thanks for the wonderful post.
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard to serve those who are selfish and unappreciative. Yet, they are the ones who often need us the most.
It is only in the last twelve months that my mum has said that I have done a good job of anything, and that was so hard to take, and I constantly sought her approval. Now, at least I know that my mum is proud of my efforts at homeschooling our children. :)
Gracious patience will have its perfect reward in Heaven, even if not on earth.
Blessings,
Jillian
<><
Tricia & Homeschoolmum,
ReplyDeleteIt has been helpful tome to know that others struggle in the same areas. May we all find peace of heart and mind in our saviour, who "while we were yet sinners, died for us".
Thank You for your honesty! We all have moments like these and just reading your post reminds me that I am not alone.
ReplyDeleteSo true A Modern Day Essene, there is no new thing under the sun. We are blessed to be able to share both joys and sorrows.
ReplyDeleteSometimes we give and give in areas where the Lord doesn't want us to give because we have an obsession with giving. Then we get used and taken for granted, when we need to let other people bear their own burdens--without feeling guilty about our "neglect" of them.
ReplyDeleteThanks New Kid! Some wisdom there. I think you are right. It can almost become a martyr complex. Definately have had a lot to ponder these last few days. I am very touched by the empathy and the pearls of wisdom I have received on this.
ReplyDeleteI also feel this way at times, although I try to remember that I am 'doing' for God not for the selfish person. Sometimes I have to actually say to God "I am doing this for you, not for them." God understands! "Whatever you do .... do it all for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31
ReplyDeleteIt hurts to be unappreciated and taken for granted.