Monday, July 27, 2009

Lamp Filled?

I was in an eschatological conversation last week. Always thought provoking! Sorry readers, I am unwilling to commit myself to a millennial view on this blog ☺ What I have found is that if you have 3 or 4 Christians discussing end time things, you will have 3 or 4 views being sprouted!

So, although this was not the subject of either of yesterday's sermons, these are some of the verses I have been thinking on. Looking forward with hope and expectation to the glorious return of Christ.


Matthew 25

1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Watch and keep your lamp filled with oil and the wick trimmed and lit!
There are a number of passages which outline what we can expect leading up to and at the return of Christ, but scripture makes it clear - no man knoweth the hour when the Son of Man will return.
Here is a passage from the Psalms which I love.
Psalm 130: 5 - 8
5 I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
6 My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.
7 Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities
.

9 comments:

  1. Morning, Ruby!

    Hmmm I wonder whether you'd get as many comments on eschatology as you have on cookery...

    I love your Psalm 130 quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning to you too, Jeanne!
    Yes, the recipe was a surprise with so many comments! But it is good to think about how our heart is. Are we ready and waiting with expectation?
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tehee, you make me laugh. If writing eschatology posts you'll be bound to end up with more than 3 comments - but yes, that will bring more than 3 different opinions and viewpoints. Now that's just way too much time for any hs mumma to spend on a blog! LOL

    Yes! are we ready? Do we live with that sense of expectation, that sense of urgency? Great post Ruby...thoughtful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm.. Good things to ponder no matter what your view on eschatology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'm as ready as I should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every day we can think, "The bridegroom is coming!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precious Ruby! You are quite adventurous with this blog aren't you? lol. I'm teasing...

    but I have one thing to say: We need to keep our lamps full of oil!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Amanda. On reflection I have changed the title and a few words on the post to reflect the need to be filled with oil and ready. Oil in the scriptures is often referring to the Holy Spirit. I had thought about this when pondring the passage but I appreciate you mentioning it as I did not word the post so well.
    Blessings!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruby, thank you for your sweet heart. I didn't think you needed to change anything, honestly. I wasn't correcting you, just emphasising what I felt was an important point.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.