Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Golden Childhood VIII




A Wonderful and Large Extended Family



One of the things I loved about my childhood and now treasure so greatly is growing up with a close family and my extended family near by. Mum and Dad had eight kids, though we were well spread and never all lived at home at one time. Dad's parents lived about 1.5 klms from us and his two brothers, wives and total of 9 children, too. "Over the Road" we called it because you had to cross the main road to get their places. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. Grandad was a great story teller. He smoked a pipe and had been to the First World War and for an old country gentleman was well read and had seen a lot of the world. Grandma was a very industrious woman and still made butter, cooked, sewed and knitted well into her eighties.


Here are some of us boarding the local school bus. What a motley crew!! It was only about 10 klm for us into town to go to school but our fathers had ridden to school on horseback, milking cows before they left. (So they would remind us!)


The cousins and one "ring in "playing some board game.
Between the three houses there were usually plenty of extra kids over school holidays.
The city cousins, assorted friends and sometimes needy kids would love to come to the farm for some carefree entertainment, with fresh air, good food and great company!


The kids from over the road on a hay ride past our front house gate.


As the years passed, Dad and the brothers who remained on the land bought and built up their own properties. Now that generation has retired/ died and two of my brothers and one cousin own those properties and keep expanding them. They have a total of six children, quite spread in ages, so who knows whether the land will stay in the family into the next generation and beyond. I mentioned in the very first Golden Childhood post that we are holding a family reunion to celebrate 100years of our family farming this land. It is becoming rare in Australia for family farms to exist .

It is hard to imagine some other family, other children growing up here. No other family has farmed here. I still have a close tie to my childhood home while the boys continue to live there but thankfully, I am not yearning for an earthly home. And while my memories are precious and golden, they cannot compare to the wonderful home awaiting me in Heaven.


Top photo: A family hike in the lovely hills behind our home stead. 1983


Second top: That's me on my 18th birthday with Grandad (91) and Grandma (89). He died about a month later. Click on their names to see photos of them as young people. 1980


And yes, that's me, the oldest girl in the first two group photographs! All 1974

9 comments:

  1. Ruby, it looks like you had a wonderful life growing up. I love the family and country life you share about.

    ps. I remember those sorts of ports for school! Very 70's, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the old cardbosrd ports! See my brother even has a blue model which had shoulder straps (later evolved in to backpacks).
    "Ports" I believe is a very Qld term derived from the portmateau. Our southern and O.S. sisters may know them as suitcases ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruby,
    What a wonderful childhood you must have had.☺

    I remember that I used to go to the stables, and always ended up with asthma. I always wondered how my mum used to know that I'd been there?
    Blessings,
    Jillian
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. We thought they'd never end...

    Thankfully I never had asthma Jillian as I loved and spent a lot of time around cattle and horses!
    I did have other health dramas...but you will have to wait till I get to that exciting episode!☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these posts of your childhood. What a heritage you are providing by posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruby,

    Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
    site!! Amen & amen! :)

    Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
    mind praying for the prayer requests that are
    on our main page?

    May the Lord bless you and your family!!

    Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
    www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

    ps - please consider "following" our blog
    -or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
    blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
    www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

    •´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's something I would have loved - having a big extended family and enjoying spending time with cousins etc... The hay ride looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.