Friday, December 31, 2010

Of Marriage, Milestones and Many Waters!....

The last week of every year is very special and usually very busy in our house.  This year was no different except we have had the rain and flooding to contend with :-)   This has been the biggest rain event in these parts for many years.  It is very widespread and the Fitzroy River is the catchment river for all the surrounding water ways...all of which are experiencing record flood levels!  So we sit here in Rockhampton, waiting, watching, wondering!

Previous record 1918
The Old Fitzroy River Bridge
There are predictions as to how high the river will rise but realistically no one knows for sure as the levels coming in from the north and west are higher than ever previously recorded.  Needless to say the Big Wet of 2010/11 will go down in history as one of the biggest.

My older daughter and her family live in the flood inundated area of town and have evacuated to us for the duration.  It looks as though their place (a high set house) will get water through the upper living area. We have a house full but we are enjoying it and will make the most of the precious family time despite the stress of the situation and the knowledge that when it recedes the big clean up will begin.

This is what the Depot Hill area looked like over the last couple of days.
If the river rises to expected heights this area will be under 2m plus of water.
This is where my daughter lives!
My second daughter and her family spent the long weekend in the south and are now (happily) stranded there until the roads reopen.  Their home is thankfully high and dry.

The town is very low on milk, bread, fruit and vegies etc.  We are fairly well stocked but with nine in the house plus their dogs we will need to be!!

oo00oo

For better, for worse,
For richer, for poorer,
In sickness and in health,
Until God shall separate us by death.

On Tuesday we celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Yes, 25 years!
 Although we did not take the above vows in our marriage service, I think it sums up well the commitment that two believers make when they stand before God, and the congregation of his people to promise and covenant themselves to one another.
My own children and my little grandchildren make every hurdle and difficulty through out the years seem trivial and very worthwhile.


Psalm 127

1Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it:
 except the LORD keep the city,  the watchman waketh but in vain.
2It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late,
 to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
3Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD:
 and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
4As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
5Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not
be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

oo00oo


Yesterday, Thursday was my birthday!  How quickly these seem to roll around these days. We had to postpone our usual lunch with my  little group of birthday celebrators . We regularly take the birthday girl out for a meal when each one rolls around.   When the flood dramas are past we will go out and have a nice meal together.  As mentioned, I had plenty of my family here to celebrate the day and some visiting friends from Canberra came for lunch.  This meal was cut short too with their decision to fly home before the airport is closed! Earlier, I had enjoyed a coffee and a chat with JJ and tomorrow will be lunch as usual with Dad and Mum .
I love that I get lots of phone calls and messages and I feel very spoiled in general. I am so grateful to the Lord for preserving my life thus far and giving me so many wonderful family members and friends to share it with.

Tomorrow will be the beginning of 2011.  We are having a barbecue with friends but it is most unlikely that I will actually see it in . I am sure my boys will take the opportunity to stay up late and have some goodies!

May God bless each of you in the coming year xo

And a NEWS FLASH!
The missing fuel cap was found today by my daughter, just going about her business down the back! Thank you Lord!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Ruby, lots of events! Love how you are making the most of the situation with a full house (I assume it is full). Congratulations on 25 years and also your birthday. Love that Ps. 127 passage also. Happy New Year, dear lady!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. 25 years is nothing to sneeze at. Congratulations. Down here we are wondering if Brissie will see the 74 floods revisited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you were in one of the flood affected areas - although it seems ALL of QLD is under water, from the news coverage we get here. I hope it's stopped raining by the time we get to the sunshine state, or it may have washed into the ocean!!

    Happy Birthday!
    Happy Anniversary!

    Enjoy having the family around and get as much rest as possible .... I assume you will be helping your daughter clean up her house after the water goes down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the 25th! We do have much in common. We celebrate our 25th in March. I also smiled when you quoted the tradition vows, we also chose to not use it, but I do think of it and quote it often. Now, I am kinda' wishing we had used them!

    I'm glad you mentioned about the floor, I see the news and have been praying, wondering if any of my blogging sisters were affected. A mixed blessing to have the kids there, but sad that the floor will affect their home. We were affected by a huge flood in ND about 10 years ago, and it truly affected the whole eastern part of the state. I will continue to pray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a busy week -I am glad you can see the positive in the flooding and will be thinking of you in coming days. We are safe in Canberra, just a little hot but nothing to complain about. My DH and I reached 20 years on the 27th of December, 25 is even better. Well done. And happy birthday -I do hope you were spoilt considering how busy everything is around you.

    Happy new year:) and I will continue to pray for those in Queensland (including cousins) who are in or near flood aft areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look at the news reports and am surprised that anyone from QLD has any Internet access at all! It looks amazing and awesome- both in a negative and positive way.

    25 Years - oh my!!! That is MARVELLOUS (yes I'm shouting- yelling for joy!!)

    ♫ ★ ♬ ☆ ❤ ✰ ❤ ♪ CoNgraTulaTiOnS on your Silver Wedding Anniversary ♫ ★ ♬ ☆ ❤ ✰ ❤ ♪

    ReplyDelete
  7. Modern technology is amazing, isn't it Susan!

    During the 2008 floods in the west one of my cousins kept sending photos etc long after they were isolated and had water 1.5m deep under the house and surroundings! Apparently their phone and internet transmiiter box was up high!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on 25 years of marriage!!! From someone who's only 4 1/2 years into the journey of marriage that seems a very impressive feat to me :-)

    I hope the flooding eases up soon, certainly a lot of affected areas at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ruby
    Thanks for letting me know about the pics not working at my blog- I shall have to try and fix that! And praying that all is still well with you as the floods peak in your end of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to you on your b'day AND anniversary... woo-hoo!!!

    So sorry about all the flooding in your area. Your poor daughter - what a mess that will be. Glad you have so much family nearby to all help each other - what a blessing.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruby,

    After reading your story, it sounds as if "Mumma's Place" has been quite busy and eventful!

    I'm sorry to hear about the flooding. Hopefully, the waters will go down soon so everyone can be less stressed and worried. I live in a suburbia flood zone as well, ugh. It's been raining off and on here, but fortunately, nothing serious. Flooding is always a worry for me!

    Also, happy 25th anniversary, and happy birthday. So, this means that you are 25 this year, right? Tee hee. :) It's funny as we women get older, we don't dare tell our age, but when we are young, we can't wait to get older. Funny that. :)

    Anyway, I'm hoping that you are having a blessed new year so far. Take care dear friend.

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lady Rose!
    Revealing my age has never concerned me...I am 48 by the way!
    When I was a teenager I struggled with having a "baby face" and wished I looked older, though.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.